The disease begins- First Laker

Builder show and discuss their progress.
snipa
Type of boat I like: Laker+Wadefish+Northwind

The disease begins- First Laker

Post by snipa »

Hello All,

Where to begin?

I am totally new to this forum and the boat building addiction. Ergo I am not certain if this is the right place to introduce myself, but since I have commenced building my first kayak I thought the builders thread was probably the best.

Feel free to move it to wherever you think best.

Anyway, back to the tale of woe.
I live in Sunbury, an outer suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Have been fishing most of my 55 years, primarily land based until a couple of years ago when I discovered kayak fishing. I currently have a Hobie Outback and a Malibu Mini X.

My grandson is usually my trusted fishing mate, he’s six now, been fishing with me since he was two, probably caught 150+ fish, his best being a 39cm Bream and several 30+ Redfin. He also wants a decent sized kayak. A search for one to suit him for fishing began, he is swiftly out growing the little plastic thing he now has and there is no storage on it. This led me to the JEM Watercraft site about a year ago. Was impressed with the wooden boats but was unsure of my ability to build one.
Being disillusioned about the plastic yaks and being unable to find a suitable yak for the boy got me back looking at them again about two months ago. Having a really close look at the plans available and extensive reading of this forum has led me to decide to give them a go.

So I decided to give the Free Laker plans a try to see how we go. I’m 6’3’’ and 105kg, so a couple of fish on board will lower the free-board fairly well. However I am hoping to get the cook involved as well in kayaking. So this is supposedly her boat. Truth be told, it’s a trial/learning experience exercise with a day/play boat, wife’s boat/ loaner as possible outcomes. Generally a win-win scenario, I’m thinking.

The other option of course is expensive firewood.

Have plans, if successful, for a Wadefish 15-32 to replace the Hobie for fishing in Port Phillip Bay, and a Northwind for camping/fishing in freshwater etc. Looking at a Buccaneer for the young bloke. I can foresee several other builds as the other five grandkids get big enough. Not that interested in fishing but they like paddling Corey’s plastic thing, plus they are kids and there’s water involved. Summertime helps.

Enough about daydreaming and the future, back to the present.

Downloaded the plans for the Laker about a fortnight or 3 weeks ago. Have read them to death as well as Laker builds here and on Southern Paddler. Thanks to all you blokes that have put up posts of your builds. They have been invaluable in the ‘hunter-gathering’ stage, pre commencing. Things like Japanese pull saws, carbide scrapers and types of materials available in Oz. Thanks to Hairymick, Onkabob, Bemm52(?)and Goannywhere.

Started cutting out last Saturday (15.12.12). The boat in currently just been tacked on the outside, waiting for it to cure. Seems straight and fair, all going good. Any problems have been sorted by re reading the plans and forum, so far.

Pictures will come when I over come my techniphobia and learn how to do it. One step at a time is good fishing as the old man used to say.

Find myself thoroughly enjoying this project, suspect the die may be cast.

Thanks also to Matt for making the plans available and so understandable. Simplifies what initially sees a daunting task. Used steel most of my life, wood is a whole new ballgame. I hope to have dealings and discussion with you long into the future.

Anyway enough dribbling, this has got fairly long winded so I will cut this short now. It’s 1pm, time for this little black duck to get some sleep.

Till later
Cheers John
Cheers John
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Re: The disease begins- First Laker

Post by PiratePete »

Welcome along John.

I use photobucket for all my pics. I upload the pics I want to use & then copy the link & paste it in your post.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Welcome John, sounds like you're well and truly committed to becoming an epoxy junkie :D .

If you need any help Pete is just across the straight - he could paddle over and give you a few tips each weekend.

It really would be worth working out how to post the photos. If you have any specific questions at a particular stage then it helps for us to see what you are asking about. Plus we just like looking at build pics.

I notice you are also on AKFF. There is now a kayak building section in the Do It Yourself forum there and I'm sure there would be some interest if you put up some photos even if it is only the finished product.

Good luck with it.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
snipa

Post by snipa »

Hi fellas,
Thanks for the welcome and the replies.
You are both right, no doubt I will set up a Photobucket account but always seem to be too busy to sit down and sort out how to do it. Need a teenager living at home, they all see to know this sort of thing. Can't add 2 and 2 to get 4, yet can do just about any thing with computers. Okay-just an excuse!!!

Now that I'm getting down to using a lot of epoxy in the next week or so, it'll give me something to do while waiting for it to cure. It will save her inside finding something for me to do.

Probably wouldn't hurt to post a pix or two on AKFF and VYAK as well.

Anyway time to check if these seams have gone off yet. Epoxy seems to take it's sweet time on these cooler days.
Also wishing you all a Merry Xmas for tomorrow, or if you insist - Happy Holiday.

Cheers John
Cheers John
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

G'day John and welcome....
I like the title of your thread....you've got it right...it is a disease....but a great one to have...
I've just jumped back in after an unplanned break from it for awhile
You mentioned plans to build a Buccaneer down the track..
I'm hoping to start on one soon for a friend.... I reckon it looks like a little ripper for kids or first time paddlers....
Anyway, good luck with the Laker build...... She's a great design to start off.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

Welcome to the
ADDICTION
John

And it gets worse if you get into salt water and start mixing in some fish slime :wink:

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
snipa

Post by snipa »

preacher wrote:Welcome to the
ADDICTION
John

And it gets worse if you get into salt water and start mixing in some fish slime :wink:

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Hmmmmmmm, I fish in salt and fresh, will throw a line into any puddle i think will hold fish.

I MAY BE A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers John

PS thanx for the reply.
Cheers John
snipa

Post by snipa »

Hi all,
Got sidetracked up to Coonamble to visit me mum. She's been a bit crook lately.

The kayak has had the wet out coat on the outside. Went better than I had feared it would. Learning curve that. Done it at sundown so not too much air under the glass. Main problem was glass lifting where the hull was sitting on the sawhorses. Only short narrow sections of air bubbles but the glass from the top will cover and strengthen it. Mind you it won't happen again, you live and learn. there will be no interference next time.

The 'Learning Curve' is what building this boat is about.

Cheers John
Cheers John
snipa

Post by snipa »

OLsnappa,
Glad to see you back into the fray and thanks for the reply.

Seeing how things are going on the build, I am starting to hang out to start the next one. Restraint is the order of the day, you shouldn't bite off more than you can chew. Patience son, patience.

A quick question if I may. Where did you find the cheapest/best source of resin and glass in Melbourne. Using Botecote resin and 6oz glass from Donald Marine. Was wondering about possible better suppliers as I still need another ten metres of glass to carry on from here.

Cheers John
Cheers John
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

John..
I currently get most of my stuff from Anchor Marine in Sandringham. That's mainly because they're the handiest to me. I live in Cheltenham so it's just down the road.
I've shopped at McDonald Marine also....and a few others over the years.. :)
I can't say I've stumbled on anywhere that stands out particularly as far as prices go....they seem fairly competitive for the most part.
A couple of places you could try are: Whitworths in Elizabeth St Melbourne. Or one closer to where you live, The Marine Shop in Holland Drive, Melton.
Might be worth a phone call to those and see what their product lines are and how their prices compare.
I used Botecote on my first build, the Cape Fear, and have more recently used West Systems ...but admittedly that's mainly because it's what Anchor Marine stock.
I've found both products good to work with.
Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"