The disease begins- First Laker

Builder show and discuss their progress.
snipa
Type of boat I like: Laker+Wadefish+Northwind

Re: The disease begins- First Laker

Post by snipa »

Some pix at last at
http://s1273.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ory/37903#

the boat so far, needs graphite and hatches
hmmmmmmm, was going to put a photo of the finished,to water testing boat, however sees to be some issues about resizing, will get back to you.

Hope you all enjoy
Cheers John

Take 2

Take 3

Take 4
F&%# it, more research needed

Take 5
http://s1273.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... sort=3&o=0

Take 6

Success I think
Cheers John
snipa

Post by snipa »

Thanks for your input Roger and re-enforcing my thoughts about the Northwind,

From all reports here and Southern Paddler, it seems the go to vessel for bigger water and weight carrying. However I also need a smaller ie shorter boat for skinny water, and places the wife can be encouraged at this stage to venture into.

The plan with the Northwind was to Strip, Stitch and Glue and use the ply panels for a template for that and then build the ply version as well. By that time the cook may be a bit more adventurous and take to the ply Northwind.

Or go straight to the Northwind,

Or ????????

Decisions , decisions. The water is getting a bit muddy at the moment. Will have to carry on with the grandsons kayak for a while and give it all more thought.

Cheers John
Cheers John
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Snipa
When you order the Northwind plans get them full length, then you dont have to lay out a pattern.
The NW is a heck of a boat.
Ron
snipa

Post by snipa »

Thanks Ron,
Didn't realise they were available in full length, that would certainly simplify things.

After reading your builds and taking note of your opinions about the Northwind is what led me to focus on one as a last build.

OK, OK, sometimes I kid myself. :wink: :wink:

However I think the Northwind will tick all my boxes at the moment. Need to get onto Matt about plans, investigate finding a strip making machine, extend the bench and make a bit more space in the shed.

So much to do, so little time!!!!!!

Cheers John
Cheers John
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

.......and in between all that you need to get out and do some paddling!

That's a fine looking Laker, John - keep up the good work.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
snipa

Post by snipa »

I will get out for a paddle and fish Bob, but it'll be in one of my Tupperwares.

The Laker is my wife's boat, I'm a bit over it's weight limit, tends to tip me out unless extreme caution is used. My fishing gear on-board would definitely give me 'freeboard issues'. Couple of decent fish and we would be talking 'sinking issues'.

My wife and I thank you for your compliments though, am very pleased with the way it seems to be turning out. Ergo the confidence to go ahead and build something big enough to carry me.

Cheers John
Cheers John
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

snipa wrote:Perhaps we could meet one day and have a look at your boat. It would be good to put a face to the usernames as well.
Good idea John...
I'll let you know next time I'll be on the water somewhere over your way....
We'll see if we can work out a meet up.. :)
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
snipa

Post by snipa »

No Worries John

PM or call 0421347741(call probably best, sometimes don't look at the web for days) whenever

Cheers John
Cheers John
snipa

Post by snipa »

Hi All,
Weighed the Laker yesterday. Weighed in at 35.86 lbs or 16.3 kgs. Still hasn't had the hatches cut in yet and a coat of varnish but I think it will come in under 40lb or 18kg.

Undecided whether to cut a hatch through the top on the front or put a plastic 8" hatch into the front bulkhead. Had to put a fair bit of pressure on the front to push it down to glue on (see car jack under the strap in photo)

So suspect the cut out may spring out of shape and not be able to get it to seal properly. Top deck may spring a bit as well.
Any suggestions appreciated

Cheers John
Cheers John
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how little the panels will "spring" out of shape. I know I was. Even if they do move a little, reinforcement for your hatches would pull it back into shape.
Cheers John