The disease begins- First Laker

Builder show and discuss their progress.
snipa
Type of boat I like: Laker+Wadefish+Northwind

Re: The disease begins- First Laker

Post by snipa »

Thanx Olsnappa,
that wasw pretty much how I figured re competition. Didn't know about the place in Melton though, so I will check it out.
Much appreciated
Cheers John
Cheers John
snipa

Post by snipa »

Thanks Olsnappa,
Checked out Melton, only had chopped glass at a pound per metre and cloth at 650gsm +(he didn't know what weight it was, only my guess, could have been heavier), strands about 3/16" wide. Didn't seem real interested about other options. Wrote him off. Checked out Whitworths, only had 3.25 oz at the same price that Discount Sea art had 6 oz for. Parked out the front almost while parking to go to Whitworths, so checked them both out. Glass cost me about a third less than Mc Donald's, also had a wider range of accessories. Generally cheaper than Whitworths as well.

The boat is progressing nicely when I get a chance to get at it. Gluing on the shear clamps at the moment. Deviated from the plans a bit. Made the coaming out of three layers of 6mm ply I had laying around instead of the 4 mm an inch wide on it's edge, Feels strong enough to stand on. Also making a glove box arrangement like I saw on Hairymick's Laker build.

Only need to fit the bulkheads, paint in the sealed compartments with white exterior paint (paint always hides a multitude of sins), glue down the top, finish making the seat and take for a test drive. Will cut out hatches after that and then give the resin a month or two to harden before the varnish.

Need to locate some graphite to do the bottom and a source of Spar varnish.

Hmmmmm, may have to head into town and check out Sea Mart a bit closer.

Cheers John
Cheers John
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

Haha....Nice find with Discount Sea Mart!!... I don't know how long they've been there but I didn't even know they existed!.....Of course It's possible I've walked right past them without realising... :?
I'll have to check them out too.. :D
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
snipa

Post by snipa »

Well after much stuffing around waiting for resin to cure etc, I stuck the lid down tonight apart from where the straps are and a few zip ties. Glue them down tomorrow if the bloody resin cures in this bit of a cold spell we're having. Seems to be all good for a test float Monday. With any luck that is.
Cheers John
Cheers John
snipa

Post by snipa »

Well the test float happened today :D :D :D :D

It floated, goes fairly quick, had trouble keeping close with the wife paddling it and me in my Mini X. Considering she is a newbie at kayaking, not saying I'm much better, she had it moving fairly well. Was a bit tippy for her initially but after an hour or so she was fairly stable in it. She didn't tip it, unlike myself, managed to tip it twice. It does not handle the 116+ kg of me in it. Minimal freeboard and any shift from centre would have her going over.

So well pleased with how it turned out, faults and all from the learning curve. She is as well. Won't turn into firewood but I will have to look into making a boat with higher carrying capacity, bugger!!!!
Will get onto sorting out photos directly.
Cheers John
Cheers John
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

At 116k, you're definitely at the top end of it's ability. So Look into a Laker14 or even Okwata for your next build.

But the wife is happy... that guarantees you can build another!
-Matt. Designer.
snipa

Post by snipa »

Your right Matt,
I thought the 113k limit your plans quote might have been like a SWL limit, ie it may say 3 ton, but nothing will break till 5 ton or something, it won't fail at 3 ton neat..........Wrong, can paddle it very cautiously, no room for error though. As I found out twice, luckily in shallow water. Can get back on the plastic SOT's alright from deep water, don't know about this tippy little thing though. But practice makes perfect they say. When I've decided between a Okwata or a Wadefish and built it, some re-entry practice will be on top of the list.

The Cook is happy with it, which is a good thing. I have no issues from her about getting out fishing or projects in the shed. She would rather me doing that, than hanging around the house bored to death, grumpy and cabin feverish.

Main problem is what to build next. Am currently making an 8' kayak for the grandson to use. Not sure how it will go, it is scaled and proportioned along the lines of the Laker, but have no real idea on how it may go capacity wise. Will have to suck it and see. Test float in a swimming pool till I'm certain it's safe enough to take in the open water. He's only 23k and the smallest kayak I've seen plans for is the Buccaneer, but the specifications say that 39k would be the minimum size for it. Will build him one when he is ten or so. At 6 I think he will not be able to handle the Buccaneer.

Will get in contact soon about plans for a new boat

Cheers John
Cheers John
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

snipa wrote: Main problem is what to build next.
Cape Fear!! :D
I'm a "top weight" too John, and she is absolutely magnificent to paddle, fish from, explore in....
Ya can't go wrong!! :lol:
Have a look at my report at the end of the build log here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2212&start=110
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
snipa

Post by snipa »

Hi John/Olsnappa
Thank you for bringing my attention to the CF, whilst looking around the different plans I seem to have overlooked it. Have looked at a Northwind that I would like to try SS&G, but I expect that to be a long drawn out process as I will want a mirror finish on it. that is to be able to leave it sit in the shed till it gets whatever it takes to achieve that. Not having the tools for stripping and thicknessing etc available at this time is also a bit of a holdup for that plan.
The Northwind will be for camping/touring/ fishing etc whereas I need something for plain fishing and poking about ASAP. Ergo - Cape Fear SOT perhaps. Especially on the bays. Have an Outback (Hobie) that I would like to replace with something I made myself. The Outback will then be sold (I envision bigger and better tools - a bandsaw comes to mind).

Perhaps we could meet one day and have a look at your boat. It would be good to put a face to the usernames as well. I don't do the electronic friends thing very well, can tend to be a bit techno-phobic. (PM if your interested please)

Anyway thanks again for the heads up
Cheers John
Cheers John
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

Hi John
I just thought that perhaps I should put in a few words backing the Northwind. Built as a stripper this would be an awesome boat, but as a s&g mine still receives a lot of very favourable comments from people I meet at the launch site and on the water. Although it is quite a big boat, it is still a very fast and easy craft to paddle. As far as weight goes, I often take my better half for a cruise and with an all up load in excess of 200kgs it is completely stable. The large cockpit size also has the advantage of insuring that the fishing tackle does not interfere with the wedding tackle. The extra chines adds a little to the build but the results are well worthwhile. Another boat to consider might be be the Southwind. Mick would be best to comment on that however.
Anyway it is a very personal thing and only you can make the decision what you really like. It's all good.
Cheers Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico