SAILING THE MUSKOKA

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Muskokee
Type of boat I like: Muskoka

SAILING THE MUSKOKA

Post by Muskokee »

I'm building a Muskoka canoe with an eye towards using a sail back-up for extended inland fishing trips.
The wider beam width, in addition to it's tumble-home sides and Y-stern seems to suggest the potential of stability in this application.

Assuming two passengers with gear, and probably a pair of small outriggers with side boards and rudder, where would the best placement of a mast block be?

I'm inclined toward the mid-ship location because of the central position of the sideboards and outriggers... but I sure would appreciate the benefits of other folks insights and experience about sailing a canoe!
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: SAILING THE MUSKOKA

Post by OnkaBob »

I'm no expert but as far as I know the ideal setup is to have the centre of area of the sail in line with the centre of lateral resistance ie lined up with the side boards. Moving the sail a bit behind the side boards will cause the boat to round up into the wind if the tiller is released and moving it forward will make the boat turn to go with the wind.

In the case of a solo sailor falling overboard the former is probably safer as there is more chance of swimming to the boat before the wind takes it out of range.

Either way this means the mast itself will be a bit forward of the side boards. How much will depend on sail shape so you really need to design the sail before locating the mast step.

Just did a quick net search and found this article which may be a starting point for you:

http://www.paddlin.com/fivelakes/balrig.html

Good luck with it and don't forget to post some photos for us when you get it set up
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Bob stole my thunder. That's a good link and reference.

I can get some advice from a Dutch Navy Architect if you'd like regarding sail size.

Hoz used to come around this forum and he's an avid canoe sailor.

This is a pretty active group of canoe sailors: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sailing_canoes/info
-Matt. Designer.
Muskokee
Type of boat I like: Muskoka

Post by Muskokee »

Thanks a lot for the replies, and especially for the links.

I noticed pictures online of 16' canoes using Lateen sails. These sails seem to measure around 9' x 11', using a 10' boom and 12' top spar, which claim about 55 sq/ft. of sail. Most of the examples that I looked at appear to locate the mast block underneath a matching opening in the front seat. I know that I don't have all the facts, but those examples had the feel of a compromise for convenience.

I respect the thought and effort that went into the design of this boat. I'm going to take my time and weigh the trade-offs before daring to modify anything. It's funny how often things give me greater satisfaction when I return to simply enjoying them as they were designed. Still, a fellow can't help but wonder...What If...?

Thanks your encouragement.
M.