Sailing Outrigger Canoe (DK Touring)

Builder show and discuss their progress.
TomC
Type of boat I like: Floating.

Re: Sailing Outrigger Canoe (DK Touring)

Post by TomC »

Update:
William has completed the DK-Touring without outriggers.
He departed this morning by kayak paddle heading on a 100 mile journey north along the coast line to la Paz. He says there is a 5% chance he will attempt the Sea of Cortez crossing in the next two months.
The boat is robust to say the least. I have every confidence in it's seaworthyness. William on the other hand has much to learn but that is certainly feasible.
Godspeed William!
-Tom
TomC

Post by TomC »

Update:

William is alive and well and still northbound for la Paz.
He posts occasionally on facebook under William Prince.
-Tom
TomC

Post by TomC »

Update:

William made it 30 nautical miles north on his 130NM journey but capsized while fishing close to shore after bumping a semi-submerged rock. He recovered most of his gear by scuba the next day but abandoned the canoe as it was delaminating badly about the gunnels following the roll over as well as beginning to break apart due to unsecured stowage containers having impacted the upper decks. He reported heavy headwinds daily making headway painfully slow. He was forced to paddle mostly on the starboard side with his kayak paddle to maintain his course reporting his high freeboard was no match for the strong northerlies. He had no rudder.
William told me this morning by Skype that he enjoyed the entire adventure from building the DK Touring canoe to sinking it and that he had learned a huge amount.
He is leaving tomorrow, as crew, to cross the Sea of Cortez on a 35' sloop.
Ah, to be 19.
-Tom
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Post by neon14 »

I just read through this post. Very interesting. I hope he builds another boat and completes his journey.