Bluefin SS&G

Builder show and discuss their progress.
trango
Type of boat I like: SOTs such as Blue Fin

Re: Bluefin SS&G

Post by trango »

Thank you for showing your builds! Very impressive!

I've finally made templates for the four panels that makes up the hull. I've used the templates to get the correct shape on the panels that I've glued.

Before vacuum bagging, I started by repairing the tear-outs and knock-outs from the planer.Then I laminated the first set of panels using a weight of 160 gram/m2. After the weave followed a layer of release ply, a very thin film with tiny holes every 8 mm. The hole stack was covered with breather cloth and finally plastic. The bag was sealed with duct tape and the vacuum was applied

The tiny dark dots that you see are excess epoxy that is squeezed out through the small holes and then get trapped by the breather cloth. After 36 hours under vacuum, I cut the bag and found a laminate of very high quality - I'm very happy with the result!

/Fredrik
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Neat.

Why vacuum bagging the flat panel?
-Matt. Designer.
trango
Type of boat I like: SOTs such as Blue Fin

Post by trango »

jem wrote:Neat.

Why vacuum bagging the flat panel?

The idea is to vacuumbag all panels on one side and put the bagged glass on the inside of the hull. The panel is so thin that I suspect it would collapse without the structural support of the bench. Not the most fancy way to do it but one benefit is that this way, I can build the hull using the conventional approach where the internal structure defines the shape.

Likewise, the outside will be sheathed without any vacuum as the hull would collapse if I would put it in a bag...

/F