Neons Sabalo 12

Builder show and discuss their progress.
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Neons Sabalo 12

Post by neon14 »

Well, I have finally got started on this thing. Got set back a little bit with the last project and also refinishing the Jem paddle board.

Picked up some ply the other day. I have also collected a good amount of cedar this year. Not exactly sure how this one will turn out but I really like the way ayjay's Texas Sabalo from a couple years ago looks. We will see what happens.

Got started and right off the bat I was struggling. I could not see the pencil lines. I seem to remember having this problem before.

So I flipped the board over to the lighter side. Now thats a lot better. Its really cool how these plans came with full sized prints of some of the fine detailed parts.

Really looking forward to this, been wanting to build this boat for awhile!
OneLastCast
Type of boat I like: Sabalo 12

Re: Neons Sabalo 12

Post by OneLastCast »

Hi Neon
Keen to see how this one comes together. I hope to start building one shortly, have the plans, just haven't been able to make a start yet. Having seen your paddleboard, I'm sure you'll do a great job of it. Best of luck with the build and ........... thanks for posting.
Regards

Tony
JayM
Type of boat I like: Laker Sabalo or Wadefish

Post by JayM »

Neon,

I'm watching this one, too. I'm just starting my Wadefish build but haven't gotten a chance to start a thread on it yet. Sounds like we are using similar methods, since I'm doing cedar strips on mine. I followed the strip board you did on the texas kayak site also. Very nice work!

Jay
cjbfisher
Type of boat I like: SOT fishing kayaks.

Post by cjbfisher »

G'day Neon,
I'm also looking forward to following this build. You'll probably get this one finished before I finish my Sabalo 15 that I started before Christmas.

Chris
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Thanks guys!

Made a bit more progress over the last few days.

Took a little extra time and glued these patterns to the wood, ruff cut them with the band saw, and sanded them true.

I also did this with the other full size patterns. Going to save these as jigs. Never know, I might want to build another one of these boats some time.

Started test fitting all the panels and realized I made a mistake!

So I had to re cut 2 frame panels. I'm sure it wont be the only mistake I make on this build.

Now that looks better.

Hopping to get all the scuppers glued up and frames tacked together in the next few days. Still not exactly sure how this boat is going to be finished off.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Having a clamping party!

Been working on the scuppers. Lots of little parts and pieces in the frame of this boat. I cut out all the panels out with the saw in this pic :lol:

I have quite a bit of darker cedar. Started with the easiest first. The transom.

I'm thinking the decks, transom, and the top 2 hull panels on each side will be cedar. The rest ply, prolly painted black or hunter green. This process will speed up the build and still have that wood boat look.

Thinking about glassing the inside of the scuppers now rather than later. This should be interesting!
OneLastCast
Type of boat I like: Sabalo 12

Post by OneLastCast »

Hi Neon
Nice work!!!!
Hunter green with cedar accents would look fantastic (and maybe a white accent somewhere?).
Regards

Tony
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

Good work. It's interesting to see the 12 being built. Looks much less complicated than the standard Sabalo. Fewer fiddly bits. And being smaller you can use heavier ply without being too heavy. Looking forward to seeing the finish with the cedar strips.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

goanywhere wrote:Good work. It's interesting to see the 12 being built. Looks much less complicated than the standard Sabalo. Fewer fiddly bits. And being smaller you can use heavier ply without being too heavy. Looking forward to seeing the finish with the cedar strips.
give that man a cigar!
-Matt. Designer.
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Post by makenmend »

Nice to see good old tools being utilised, Bought some old planes back from the UK last year, took some time to get them back into service but they are nice to use when the occasion calls for them.

With cedar decks bulkheads she'll look good.

MM