Sasquatch in the Ozarks

Builder show and discuss their progress.
zeb
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Sasquatch in the Ozarks

Post by zeb »

Awesome 8)
All The Best
Zeb
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

tw541 wrote:Thanks for the kind comments.

Les , The top panel of this canoe is on a pretty good angle. Both gunwales are flat against the plywood panel. This picture should show what I mean. The canoe is upside down right now while I work on the bottom, but I held the camera upside down under it to get this picture.

THANKS TERRY ... I MUST SAY YOU ARE A WOODWORKER PAR EXCELLENCE..
Les Richard Forgue
tw541
Type of boat I like: All boats

Post by tw541 »

This canoe kind of got put on the backburner for a while. We have been trying to finish up a big remodeling project and build my wife an art studio at the same time. I have recently gotten a little more done. I am pretty much finished with the outside. I decided to go with paint on the bottom.

I still need to install thwarts and seats, and varnish the inside. The plans call for two thwarts for this canoe, and I am undecided where they need to go. I am concerned that wherever I put them will be in the way of the seats final location. We have used pirogues in the past but this will be our first tandem boat. I am unsure of the seat placement. I will use temporary seats until we decide where they need to be permanently.

I have read in a popular canoe building book that the rear seat should be as far back as possible. I would prefer to sit in the back, but I outweigh my wife by about 100 lbs, and it may be hard to trim the canoe. I know how to calculate the seat placement to balance the boat, but I haven't figured how to make it work with me in the back, unless I am closer to the center.

The thwart placement is what has me most concerned. I may try to come up with some moveable thwarts to use temporarily until I decide on a permanent placement.
Terry
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

"WOW" Terry you sure out did yourself , that is one Good Looking Canoe. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

second what Chuck said. Nice! Love those "tiger stripes" in the wood.
-Matt. Designer.