Okwata

Builder show and discuss their progress.
DCRICE
Type of boat I like: Laker 13 Laker14 Okwata

Okwata

Post by DCRICE »

So far I have build the Free Laker, the 14 Laker, and now I have about a week to go on finishing A Okwata. Lots of learning has happened. I think that the Okwata will be the last for a while.

LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Re: Okwata

Post by LesForgue »

very nice work there Mr Rice.
Les Richard Forgue
DCRICE

Post by DCRICE »

The deck fit is not going as well as my dreams of the past few weeks. Adding fiberglass and epoxy sure moves this thin plywood around. After 3 hours, I think I have it as good as it will get. I am going out of town this weekend, so I will leave it like this and maybe it will learn its shape. Monday I will have another look. I took plenty of pictures so the straps can go back on quickly during the glue period.

DCRICE

Post by DCRICE »

I am a little disappointed, but all will be OK. Due to my ham-handed application of epoxy glue, I sanded through the veneer of the cheap Home Depot underlayment plywood. So the colors are pretty splochy. But she is strong, slick, and has the beautiful lines of the Okwata. Truely the sum of all my flaws. In the foreground is the Harbor Freight Kayak carrier that I am building.

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Those little "oops" fade over time. Nice work!
-Matt. Designer.
DCRICE

Post by DCRICE »

Thanks Matt. It is a testament to your design skills that I was able to build such a fine boat in the first place. At some point, I think that I forgot that I was building a boat. There is no way to get it into the living room anyway. It will look great on the river.
Dan
DCRICE

Post by DCRICE »

The final coaming piece is in place and the glue is drying. Now it is time for a few more coats of epoxy, sanding, and varnish. Does anyone have any ideas on dealing with the joints on the deck where I have sanded through the veneer? I am thinking that the next coat of epoxy could be darkened a bit with wood flour. Has this been tried before?

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

maybe a good spot for a nice accent strip / pin stripe.
-Matt. Designer.
DCRICE

Post by DCRICE »

Matt, that is a possibility. I was looking at the 14 Laker, and the varnish has dulled the clash of colors. I will try three coats of the West Marine varnish and see if it still bothers me. But for now, tomorrow we go paddling.

DCRICE

Post by DCRICE »

The Okwata got wet today and performed well. I love the tumblehome sides, it give a much more comfortable angle for me to dip the paddle. The Okwata is noticeably more stable than the 14 Laker. And I love the lines and shape of the boat.