Okwata

Builder show and discuss their progress.
grayduck
Type of boat I like: a TV 15-32 or 29

Re: Okwata

Post by grayduck »

Looks nice! Floating like a leaf on the water. Did you make your paddle?
DCRICE
Type of boat I like: Laker 13 Laker14 Okwata

Post by DCRICE »

Thanks, she does float like a leaf. Yes, I made the paddle. Had to do something while waiting for the Epoxy to harden. Hand picked cedar fence boards laminated with thickened epoxy. First jig sawed to shape then laminate, then add elbow grease with a box plane and sander.

She is not as purty as I had hoped, but my dreaming came from looking at photos of some of the builds that the masters on this site have done. I have little woodworking experience, few tools, and less patience. I wanted an Okwata, and now I have a Okwata with little investment and a lot of fun putting her together. She is about ready to meet the big lake "Okwata" (Pontchartrain). I have a crab boil scheduled for next weekend on the Bayou Lacombe. She will ride over with me for a little paddle to the lake.

john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

Oh dear you've done it all wrong! The top of an Okwata should be rounded, not flat sections :mrgreen:
Oh well, it looks good anyway. Well done.
Cheers John.
DCRICE
Type of boat I like: Laker 13 Laker14 Okwata

Post by DCRICE »

John, I like round and curves also, just depends on what I'm looking at.
I have a question for Mick about the Scotty rod holder mounts on his Okwata. Mick, I plan to use the same rod holders, but I am wondering if they are hard to use that far forward on the deck. Did you find that a problem? I would like to put them closer to the coaming and closer to the center line of the front deck. But then they may conflict with getting in the boat. Any advice appreciated.
Dan