New Design: Iroquois

Builder show and discuss their progress.

Is it possible to build a Canadian canoe in 3 days ?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 7

jclohesy
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Iroquois and stuff

Post by jclohesy »

Hi

My son Thomas ( who is 8 ) and I built another Jem Iroquois 2 weeks ago, intending to sell it on Ebay. Thomas was to share the profits we made, above the cost of the build..

Anyway, we launched it ( after a week of building in evenings) and fell in love with it. Despite hosting several families who have built Iroquois's, we had never built one of our own. Thomas was very keen on the idea of selling it, but once we had it on the water he agreed with me there was no way we wanted to sell it...

So.. we decided to sell our Sea Otter instead. The sale ends tomorrow evening and already 1700 people have looked at it although the price hasn't gone up much. However, there has been a lot of interest, and questions, and at least 2 people have decided to send off for plans from Matt for an Iroquois, on my advice..

Are these the first from England to buy the plans apart from me ?

I am still looking for a suitable water-based varnish for canoes that will give me proper protection, and beauty, without taking an age. I am currently trying "Diamond Hard Floor Varnish" ( I somehow doubt it will live up to its name !!)

Cheers, Matt, we love the Iroquois.

John
John Clohesy, www.birchcanoes.com
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

After you put a part of yourself into the boat you have built then it is hard to part with that boat. I believe it is called pride in what you have built, unlike just purchasing a boat off the showroom floor.

For varnish I use Captains Z-Spar and I get it from Raka here in Florida http://www.raka.com/Accessories.html it is the best varnish I have been able to locate for boats.
It is NOT a water based varnish but is a varnish for boats. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

John, I concur with Sparkus Varnishicus about Z-Spar's Captain varnish. I've never heard of a water based varnish; varnish is made with oils. Also, this stuff provides the best UV protection on the market today.

I strongly recommend that you protect what you and your son have built for yourselves. BTW, congratulations.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.