scottrunnr's Tandem Fishing SOT

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Thanks, Craig. Sounds like you have some first hand knowledge there.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

how about a new thread for re-entry?
-Matt. Designer.
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

Scott;
Wonderful looking boat.

On the re-entry thread, you could use a stirrup.
Heres a link that shows how it is used (and how to make one)
http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Artic ... eFloat.htm

That site has lots of good info about Sit on Tops.

DM
scottrunnr

Post by scottrunnr »

I couldn't have done this without all the amazing advice, guidance, and support you guys gave me. What a wonderful community you guys have developed. Matt & Mick are guardian angels!

Yeh, she's awefully big and a handfull to get on/off the roof of the suv. But once she was in the water, she was great. She's amazingly stable! I suspect I might be able to even stand-up to scout for bluefish blitzes. I'll save trying that for a nice sunny day once the water has warmed up in August. :wink:

Meanwhile, I'll spend the winter dreaming of going fishing on her for the first time and contemplating adding a centerboard, mast-step, and rudder for sailing. How great would it be to sail to the fishing grounds and paddle once there!
Craig Lewis

Post by Craig Lewis »

scottrunnr wrote: Meanwhile, I'll spend the winter dreaming of going fishing on her for the first time and contemplating adding a centerboard, mast-step, and rudder for sailing. How great would it be to sail to the fishing grounds and paddle once there!
Scott,
I suggest holding off on the centerboard until you determine it is really necessary. I would live with a little lost tracking the first season rather than adding permanently the disadvantages the rectangle slot is going to add: drag, weight, and the possibility of a leak hidden where your foam may be obscuring sight of the leak.
The fact that it's going to be loaded with a lot of gear with a 5lb anchor and two people tracking should be adequate if you maintain enough speed.
There is a big advantage to having the centerboard. A wind strong enough to sail by will catch your panels significantly and divert easily at slow speed. Testing next year will give you the answer whether or not to do it.
Ask Santa for a big sea anchor:
http://kayakfishingstuff.com/Merchant2/ ... driftsocks
Craig
scottrunnr

Post by scottrunnr »

It's been I long time since I checked in on the forum. My son & I had a great summer with the tandem sot we built. Matt's design was perfect! It tracks straight, handles the ocean swells gracefully, and is a wonderful fishing platform. I was even able to stand-up and scout for fish when the swells were down.

We inadvertantley put it through a real sea trial by having to punch through a series of 8ft breaking waves generated by a commuter ferry (they were breaking as we were right on the edge of a shallow shoal at the time). We had white water up to our chests! She popped right up and self-drained very quickly. Not a drop of water inside the hull even with all the hatches I have.

Mick's advice for rod-holder's, nets, gaff, & fishfinder were spot-on. She fishes very well. I can't tell you how many compliments we've received from both fishing and non-fishing folks. We fished right along-side a number of charter boats about a mile off-shore and got a variety of strange looks and off-beat comments from them at first. But when they saw us bringing up the same fish as them, that stopped very quickly.

Below are some photos.

My son in the rigged yak waiting for me to jump in behind him and shove off.

My son with a 28 inch Stripped Bass he just caught

28 inch & 30 inch Stripped Bass ready for the grill

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G,day Scott,

WELCOME BACK MATE!!! :D

Its great to hear from you again. I have often wondered how your and your lovely ship were gettin on. Thanks for the compliments re the ideas too mate. glad they work for you. Your boat looks great!

Has the young bloke put in his order for his own boat yet. :lol:
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
scottrunnr

Post by scottrunnr »

Hey Mick!
I can see you've been busy building yaks! You are a machine! They look great!

No requests from my son for his own yak. He knows a good thing when he sees it. I bait his hooks, retrieve the fish, and do more than my share of the paddling. It's like a charter for him. Why give that up! Seriously, it's nice for us to spend time together in the same boat. That was the real goal of the boat and it's been the best part. Sharing the experience has been wonderful!
surfman

Post by surfman »

Looking good scottrunnr, nice catch too. I like the idea of a sail. I was thinking the same thing the other day. Even if it is just a small one it would probably work great. I wonder if the sail was mounted forward if it would eliminate the need for a centerboard?
Tight Lines, Steve