scottrunnr's Tandem Fishing SOT

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Craig Lewis
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Craig Lewis »

Leverage was perfected by the builders of the Pyramids. :idea:
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Craig Lewis wrote:Leverage was perfected by the builders of the Pyramids. :idea:
Yep, but I hold the patents on torque and algebra.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
scottrunnr

Post by scottrunnr »

I finally got her launched and in the water for a quick trial spin before the winter hits. I'll give the fishing gear a try in the spring.

First I tried her solo:

Then tandem:

Then with my daughter for a trio!

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Bloody awsome, Scott. A beautiful boat, Beautifully made. :D

Let me be the first to congratulate you mate. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
YakAtak

Post by YakAtak »

Awesome looking boat, 3 people in it and you'd hardly notice the difference between that and one person, great stuff. :D
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

wow that's a big yak! :shock:

But she looks mighty purrrrrtee! :D
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

A slight difference ( Very slight) between one paddle and two on the aft waterline but the third paddler made no difference. :D

You have one grand boat for your use or the whole gang if you want to take them with you.

My bet is that you are still smiling and rightfully so, you earned that smile and all of the folks that will be smiling when they see your creation.
To put it in simple language ..... Ya Done Good , Darn Good. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Craig Lewis

Post by Craig Lewis »

Scott,
Congratulations on the 1st launch success! Be prepared for lots of attention and questions at the launch sites. Keep setting-up while your answering or you'll never get to do any fishing. The sitting location in the 2nd pic is a very efficient paddling solo on my Sabalo too. BTW, for me paddling backward seems more efficient than forward, test that too.
I do see one safety concern in the design however Matt, the wide rails make it very hard to do wet re-entry. I've been praticing re-entry into my Sabalo (with steep ridge rails) and the easiest re-entry I've found so far is to get your stomach over the rail with one hand on the opposite rail. Then push the near rail down to the kayaks secondary stability-point while spinning your rear into the well with your legs still perpendicular and feet in the water. That's a safe position to achieve initially with little effort. That's facing the 3 o'clock position if you enter from the right-side.
So the construction technique is easier with the horizontal rails, but it forces you to do some re-entry skill pratice and some trial-and-error with a rope ladder perhaps. The better physical shape you are in, the easier it will be.
Perhaps Kayak Jack can comment on the phsycological shape requirements for re-entry? :idea:
The good news is you have all winter to work this out before open ocean fishing trips!
Craig
Last edited by Craig Lewis on Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Very robust boat for carrying a load. Seems to be stable too, even with your daughter seated high.

Craig, I can't improve on our reentry technique. I would ask if you were vertical in the water or horizontal on the water when you make that final lunge? While horizontal is harder to achieve, it seems the final reentry could be easier. What is your experience?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Craig Lewis

Post by Craig Lewis »

Jack,
The rails on the plastic SOT are typically low profile, some like the Hobie Outback and Cobra Marauder slightly have higher rails. The experts suggest the following for a left-side re-entry: Right-hand on opposite rail, left-hand on inside rail (not extended, just straight-out). Simulanteously lift torso facing downward into the well while kicking your feet. Stay down there until you assess if you are stable, then lift torso with arm press while bringing your right leg onto the left rail, hip into the well, and dragging your rear into the seat/backrest area in one steady motion.
The Sabalo , Wadefish and Bluefish rails are probably 2-3 inches higher in profile, which makes the process much more difficult w/o practice re-entry in a calm lake with no fish helps focus that day's goal to be testing re-entry. The horizontal rail is taking away a catch-point close to the side for your hips. The original Sabalo ridge is a fairly good catch-point and fair hand grab when wet.
Having a dry suit with neck, wrist and ankle gaskets is the best gear to wear nder your PFD. Just having everything wet and heavier adds to the difficulty. Working-out on a bench press and "dipps" stand will help a lot.
Craig
Image[/img]
Matt, I've a bunch of these showing the whole re-entry sequence so let me know how much you want me to post w/o causing problems. I may be highjacking the thread too, you decide.
Craig
Last edited by Craig Lewis on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.