Hairymicks Wadefish (kadaitchi)

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

If you're using regular weave, 6-ounce e-glass, it folds around, overlaps, and comforms to the bow quite easily with a couple slits.
-Matt. Designer.
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

Not trying to hyjack Mick's build.

If you take your time before hand and carefully work the cloth, you may not even have to make any slits at the bow. I just smooth the cloth out with my hands and also used a DRY soft 3 or 4 inch paint brush to remove the rest of the wrinkles around the bow. The cloth is pretty stretchy and you may be surprised to what it will form to. At the stern I think I always had to make a slit.

The picture (if it shows) is the bow of some other boat with the cloth wet out and no slits.

DM
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

As Matt mentioned about the bubbles that form when epoxy saturating a boat. I found that if you do it as the day is heating up then the boat also warms up. That makes the air in the wood expand forcing it out of the wood causing the bubbles. ( air expands when it is heated)

If you epoxy saturate it in the evening when the boat is already warm from the heat of the day and the temperature is dropping ( the wood is also cooling down) you will not have that problem. The air in the wood is contracting (going into the wood) so there are no bubbles.

Either way the boat needs to be lightly sanded because the wood fibers fill with the epoxy and expand causing what I call whiskers (the same as the five o'clock shadow on us). The whiskers like to grab the glass cloth so it is best to lightly sand the boat 1st then lay down the glass.

In the evening if you have the lights on and the door is open then you might have some bugs land on the epoxy and they do stick to it quite well, another reason to lightly sand the boat. It gets rid of those hitch hikers.

When glassing a boat I use a roller then to finish the job a dry foam (disposable) brush. Dabbing it against the edges makes them fit flush to the hull with the junction of the outside or inside railings after the glass is trimmed.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Hitch hiking on to all the guys who have already posted, I'd add this. A looser weave glass will conform quite well with some finesse and coaxing. A tight weave glass is another story. While some have good luck with it, I will never use it again.

It was tough to get it to conform, and once installed, it "de-conformed" when I thought I was done with the job. I ended up with some maddening wrinkles and bumps that weren't there when I finished smoothing, but self-generated while I was upstairs having a cuppa tea and congratulating myself on a job-well-done. It has a memory and fought to reestablish its original configuration.

The outside is easier to glass than the inside of a boat. It is important to glass at least the bottom of the inside - up to a few inches above waterline - to reinforce it against splitting and buckling. The sides are not nearly as important to glass inside.

Also, I run an additional strip of glass tape in form each stem end for a couple of feet. Especially the tail end seems to wear right on the keel line. Sharp rocks etc. will eventually abrade it.

A well glassed boat will withstand a lot of grief and rough use.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Thanks guys, I am real happy with the way she is coming along now.

Chuck,

I borrowed the clothes peg idea from one of your posts. Works a treat. Thank you.

Corey.
Now for the really dumb question, I have only used fiberglass tape and on my next boat I want to completely glass the outside of the hull like you just did. In the pic of the bow you have quite a few folds of glass, how do you trim or lay down or overlap all of that to get it to lay down smoothly?
There are no dumb questions mate. I just wish I had been smart enough to ask more.

I just cut and overlap the cloth where it needs it. i bit of extra sanding later on is all.

Agree with Jack, re the tight weave stuff. I used it on this and it is a real pain to use.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

hairymick wrote:
Chuck,

I borrowed the clothes peg idea from one of your posts. Works a treat. Thank you.
Well, knock me down with a feather . :P ... Someone actually read something I posted and then did it. What is this world coming to?

Just joking, Thanks Mick for giving me the credit.
I guess this is a bad time to say that I like the 3.25 oz tight woven glass and use it all the time.
Yes, it is a lot harder to work with but it gives the boat a lot of protection and strength with lighter weight.
It is getting that when I call Larry at Raka and order glass they ask me ... 3.25 tight woven ... all I have to say is .....Yep.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Oldsparkey wrote:...I like the 3.25 oz tight woven glass and use it all the time. ...
I'm thinking that this sorta makes up for someone not being wrapped too tight himself?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi guys,

I got so 8 ounce (I think) tight weace cloth a couple of weeks ago and i hate the bloody stuff. i got it cause it was cheap and now i know why.

anyway, I got a little more done today. I hurt my hand at work the other day and it has really slowed me down.

I got the 3rd coat of resin on and have started building the cockpit and supports.

here are a couple more piccies.

3rd coat on.

The black dots in about centre screen are native bees. They look like flies, are stingless and just love epoxy. there are hundreds of em stuck to the hull.

Bow re-inforcing
Regards,
Mick

scottrunnr

Post by scottrunnr »

It's looking great! I'm anxious to see you tackle the cockpit and deck.

Sorry to hear about your hand. I hope it heals quickly! Those bees sound like a major pain in the butt!
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Scott,

Thanks mate. :D

I got a bit done today

Cockpit is tacked up. :D

Regards,
Mick