Hairymicks Wadefish (kadaitchi)

Builder show and discuss their progress.
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

gpratt wrote:TH Marine makes them in 30 degree tilt and flat
Make sure to read the descriptions before you buy, the one in the link from TH Marine come equipped with a "drain hole in the bottom".
I would rather have a rod holder full of water, than one that drains into the inside of my SOT hull. Not talking gallons of water, for the most part, but something I would rather not worry about.

DM

Mick;
Noticed from you signature, you seem to already have your next project in mind :)
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

dangermouse01 wrote:Mick;
Noticed from you signature, you seem to already have your next project in mind :)
Maybe I spoke to soon, could swear that earlier it said that there was a Sabalo-soon.

my eyes must be tired.

DM
scottrunnr

Post by scottrunnr »

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I found a flush-mount straight rod holder for net/gaff at kayakfishingstuff.com: http://kayakfishingstuff.com/Merchant2/ ... ry_Code=rh
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi DM :D
Maybe I spoke to soon, could swear that earlier it said that there was a Sabalo-soon.

my eyes must be tired.
Sabalo, maybe a little later ( depends on what other little beauties Matt comes up with. Looks like I have sold one of my off the shelf sea kayaks. so I have a vacant rack, gotta fill it with something. :oops:

I bought a set of Cape Fear plans a little while ago for a different project I was working on. Looks like the bottom may have fallen out of that one (project) so I am thinking of knocking up a Cape Fear hull and turning it into a sort of hybrid decked touring/fishing canoe. (sorry Matt :oops: )

I just have a concept thing running round in my head at the moment and its really hard for me to put it into words. I really like the cape fear and I want to have a play with the decks etc.

Who knows, I might even build her as per the build instructions - nah, too easy :lol:

Scott, those vertical rod holders are ideal for placement and handy reach for such usefull things like ironwood clubs, (I call em dongers) for belting toothy critters and ignorant jet ski-ers into submission :twisted: :lol:
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
scottrunnr

Post by scottrunnr »

Mick,
how many layers of fiberglass did you wind up putting on? Any idea what your boat weighs now?
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Scott,

She weighs 53 pounds with all fittings,

I put one layer of cloth (overlapped in load bearing areas) and, I think 4 coats of resin on the outside and 3 on the inside.
Regards,
Mick

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

hairymick wrote:Hi Scott,

She weighs 53 pounds with all fittings,

I put one layer of cloth (overlapped in load bearing areas) and, I think 4 coats of resin on the outside and 3 on the inside.
Wow that means she came in around 45 or less with just the hull. Sweet!

Once I get 2 designs published, the website is going to go through a rebuilding with pictures and specs updated.
-Matt. Designer.
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

15 foot boat with hatches, un-rigged weighing around 45 Lbs is great. :D :D :D
Thats what I am looking towards, my 12 foot Hobie outback (big & bulky) weighs about 65+ Lbs. :cry:

My 14 foot perception roto molded sit-inside weighs about 54 Lbs rigged.

DM
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Thanks guys,

I thought I had maxed out on the weight thing for a while but the scales don't tell lies. I must be getting weaker in my old age. :oops:

I took my wadefish out in Hervey Bay last week chasing our mackeral and snapper. I got a small mackeral at 2 feet length in fairly choppy water and the boat was very good to fight a hard running fish in these conditions.

The part of the bay I was in consists of vast shallows of sand, rock and coral reefs and islands with some deep channels running through and strong currents (up to 3 knots) running.

The boat handled these conditions superbly although it was not a difficult test. The day was pretty calm for the most part with the worst of the chops not exceeding 2 feet.

this is a pic of my launch site in the distance.

Lunch stop on a small island in the bay :D

Another view. hervey Bay township is in the back ground :D

Regards,
Mick

surfman

Post by surfman »

Very nice. Looks like a great place to fish. Yea 45 - 55 lbs doesn't sound like much until you go to lift it over your head in the form of a kayak. I am going to try to make mine fit in the bed of my PU. It may stick out a little but that will be okay.