Buccaneer Xtreme (Prototype)

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Chalk
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Chalk »

I said if I didn't like it I would make another one....well let me introduce another one to you :lol:

I messed up and forgot to round over the channel and couldn't and I really didn't like the shallow lip..so I started over.

This mold is for both rear hatches and will drain into the cockpit. Made it with 1x2, 1x1 and lattice strips. Used 5 minute epoxy to make up some time in construction...used a tube on this and came up a little short. Had one piece of lattice ride up on me so I am having to fill in some areas. Hope to finish sanding this evening and coat it with thinned epoxy. I added a layer of 1200 to the rear deck.

Getting closer and closer

Close up shot

Now that is out of the way - why the hell can't we make pine 1x1's in America...all the 1x1's say made in Mexico :shock: :lol:
Eat.Sleep.Fish[Be the Fish]
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Chalk, I like the way you think and the way your work. Not having a good picture of your boat's layout in my head, I'm curious why you drain your hatch covers into the cockpit instead of out to the deck and thence overboard?

I know there's a good reason; I just can't see it from here. (Too many envious gawkers standing in the way, looking at your work.)
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Chalk
Design Reviewer

Post by Chalk »

KJ the boat has a lip around the front and rear decks.

Chalk
Design Reviewer

Post by Chalk »

Well I struck out again pushing the envelope when I should be slowly sealing it :lol: I found a technique called low pressure vacuum bagging from some gals building a canard - http://www.cozygirrrl.com/lovac.htm I figured if a girl can do it so can I :roll: :lol:

Well I got all the parts and readied my bag and made the laminations and started bagging....well three new bags and 5 gallons of sweat later I had a vacuum.

I shouldn't have used the complex back deck mold as an experiment, but I can see how it would work if I had known what I know now - hindsight is always 20/20.

Ended up with some nice laminations in places :roll: ..had alot of voids and air pockets in places. Spent the better part of yesterday injecting resin into the voids and fixing the piece. Even laid some mat down in the gutter channels while filling air holes.

I should of stuck with what I know and I would probably be done with the rear deck, but I had dreams of super smooth laminations . So far I have coated the mold with resin/milled fiber/cabosil - 1200 bias and some matt...will follow with some more matt and a final layer of 1200 bias

I did pour foam into the rear area of the boat...planning on working from the rear of the boat foward until I finish the inside. I need to place a cockpit drain and building up the rear storage/cooler.

Moving along and learning 8)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Two steps forward, one step backwards. At least, Chalk, you are learning. You now know things that the rest of us don't.
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Chalk
Design Reviewer

Post by Chalk »

Well here is the deck somewhat wedged into place...I need to cut the bulkheads to accept the hatch gutters.

Shot down the gutter - a lot filling and sanding to go before it's looks right

The mold is now a pile of wood splinters in a bucket - hindsight being 20/20 I should have filled in the areas in red...closed them off with plywood and glassed over them. As Tincan said, "If you can build the second one first, the first one is always easier."

Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Chalk wrote: As Tincan said, "If you can build the second one first, the first one is always easier."
"O" ... I Like that saying , how true it is. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Chalk
Design Reviewer

Post by Chalk »

Well I sanded all the boogers down on the back deck last night. I started filling holes and screw ups this morning - so far I spread 1.5 ounces of micro slurry (microballons/cabosil/milled fiber). Probably have to sand and do it again two more times. I pondered over trashing it and starting over again...I decided I had more time than money :lol:

My current problem is whether or not to drain the cockpit.

Should I:

a. Just put a drain in the floor and let it goto the bilge via holes I cut in the bulkheads?

b. Install a drain tube that goes to the bilge? IMO the safest route...I don't want any water if possible to get stuck around a bulkhead trying to drain to the bilge.

c. No drain :shock:
Chalk
Design Reviewer

Post by Chalk »

I spent two days working on the boat seems like nothing got done :?

Drilled the holes for the transom drain and the bow eye. I have probably mixed over 15 gallons of epoxy in my life and never had a bad batch until yesterday. I can only say it must of been me...mixed up two batches today and there already setup...I scraped the bad mix off, it was like bubble gum.

I sanded the back deck drains until I had blisters on my hands :shock: ...need to sand some more and fill some more :cry: .

I added a floor in the compartment forward the transom.

Wish I had some fast epoxy...seem to be waiting on the epoxy here lately.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Chalk,

On my second boat, I did the entire inside with a batch of resin only - no hardener. Can you say D U M B ??

Any - and I DO mean any - distraction can be the trigger. A technique I use now is to say steps of a procedure out loud to myself, or in a hushed tone if others are nearby. It seems to help, a bit.
Kayak Jack