Buccaneer Xtreme (Prototype)

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Cracka
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Cracka »

G'day Chalk,

Just wondering if you've made any progress on the boat at all since your last post.

Do you know if Matt has decided to sell these plans yet, or should I post that question to him in the Questions & Comments topic.

It's looking good, can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks

Mick.
Chalk
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Chalk »

Only one bay left to laminate in the hull and all the structural laminating will be done (this week)

I decided that I am going to use NIDA core for the decks...Kinda pricey, but the weight savings is worth it.

Spent most of the morning cleaning up the garage...but I managed to cut 1.5" strips for the sheer clamp. After playing in the pool with the wife and kids and taking a short siesta I laminated the clamp to the boat. You can never have enough clamps when building a boat...33 shown, I needed 10 more :o

After the sheer clamp, clean up sanding and final lamination we will be ready for the floors.

The Chackillac is getting close

Only half the garage got cleaned :roll: :lol:

Eat.Sleep.Fish[Be the Fish]
Chalk
Design Reviewer

Post by Chalk »

A pinnacle was reached tonight, all the structural laminations are complete :D

The sheer clamp is complete as well.

Things to do:
Finish running rigging tubes
Install floor battens
Pour flotation foam
Decide on a floor material (Nidacore or Corecell)
Install floor
Final fiberglass on the bottom of the hull
May install a small keel for better tracking
Smear fairing compound
Sand fairing compound off
Smear some more fairing compound
Sand some more
Prime
Paint
Go fish :lol:

That looks like a short list :roll: :lol:
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Chalk wrote:Shucks, Chalk, I thought your "To Do" list would look more like this:

Things to do:
Finish running rigging tubes
Install floor battens
Pour flotation foam
Decide on a floor material (Nidacore or Corecell)
Install floor
Final fiberglass on the bottom of the hull
May install a small keel for better tracking
Smear fairing compound
Sand fairing compound off
Smear some more fairing compound
Sand some more
Prime
Paint

That looks like a BETTER list :roll: :lol:
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Chalk
Design Reviewer

Post by Chalk »

That's why the boat has taken so long to finish :lol:
Chalk
Design Reviewer

Post by Chalk »

She's been lowered from the saw horse's...that must mean we are getting in the short rows (near the end for you city folk :-D )

Made some dollies with left over plywood from the bulkheads

Hope to install the floors next weekend

Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Chalk....

I have to give you credit , when you say you are going to build a boat ....You .... BUILD a BOAT no question about that ... and what a fine looking one. :D

Chuck.
PS. Looking forward to the compleated pictures of the boat and with some luck a good stringer of fish. :wink:
"O" .. If 12 of us decided to paddle the Panhandle section ( that would be 10 canoes or kayaks ) would you be will to take all our gear for us during the trip ? A lighter boat is a lot easier to paddle.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Chalk,

Your last piccies well and truly display the scale of your boat and the magnitude of your undertaking in building her.

Bloody awesome mate!!

I have been following this thread all along and if petrol prices had not gone the way they have here, would be seriously thinking about building one of these.

A fishing boat built by a fisherman who knows how to catch fish. This boat would make a magnificent bass or flats boat here.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Chalk
Design Reviewer

Post by Chalk »

Thanks guys...lost a little momentum the past two weeks...had a IFA redfish tournament event to fish. This was our second event and we placed 6th in this event as well as the first one. This put us in third place for the division points with one more event to go before the championship. We might be fishing the championship in the buccaneer aka "Chackillac" :lol:

surfman

Post by surfman »

Great glad to see some progress on the BucX. Looking good.
Tight Lines, Steve