Another Swamp Girl's Progress

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jheger
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Another Swamp Girl's Progress

Post by jheger »

Matt:
Couldn't wait any longer, had to put her in the water and see if she floats. Not only does she float but she paddles very well, tracks good and is stable. I even stood in her to see if I would be able to pole for red fish in the Texas flats. Didn't want to get too aggressive with the cold water but with a little practice I think standing will be easy to obtain. I have a drifter and she compares with that in the stability department. Now it looks like I will have to spend more time and effort in making her look presentable.
Thanks again Matt, Sparkey and MK for your help and encouragement. Any advice on the type of varnish she will need to complete the project?
Matt, don't forget what we talked about for the next one.
James
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Another Swamp Girl's Progress

Post by jem »

jheger wrote:Any advice on the type of varnish she will need to complete the project?
Matt, don't forget what we talked about for the next one.
James
I've heard could things about Z-spar.

The next one...hee hee hee...got em hooked! :twisted:

If you look at the swamp girl page on the website, you'll see James' fine work:

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=SG

scroll down to the pictures link.

You did a great job! :)
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Z-Spar is a very good varnish. I believe that it has the highest UV protection factor available. Use it above the water line only. It is softer than epoxy, and - no UV under the water anyway.

It is also my understanding that, as the varnish is exposed to the sun, the UV protection works by breaking down instead of other things breaking down. So, every few years, sand it off & replace it to protect the epoxy.

Help me here, Matt?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

yes very true Jack. Varnish is not as good as paint and requires more attention...but once a year or more is plenty. Just depends how hard you use your boat.

Sys 3 has their Spar Urethane Varnish which is supposed to be pretty good. You could go with their clear coat LPU paint. More expensive.
-Matt. Designer.