Sea Scout 1 Cuddy Sailboat

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Boatplans.dk
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Boatplans.dk »

Thank you Francis, I am glad you like the plans.

I guess the sea scout have become my bad conscience since it is a design I should have made some more work on long time ago. I also guess it is the right time to do it now.

First the dxf-file is 1:1 metric units. This means that if you want it in inches you will need to scale it 1/25.4=0.0394. You can always check the scaling by measuring the sheets since they are in metric 2440x1220 before the scaling and after scaling it should be 96"x48".

I have checked the different panels that will be needed for the boat, and some of them are too wide for my plotter. Furthermore this is a large boat for full size patterns and together with shipping from Denmark, I think it will be an unpleasant expensive solution for you if I should deliver the patterns. Maybe Matt will be able to give you a reasonable offer for them?

Also the precut kits might be a good solution to consider, depending on how much time you got for the building. Using precut kits eliminates the time you normally use for lofting and cutting. Furthermore having the parts cut on a cnc makes the accuracy much better than you can ever obtain by lofting and cutting by hand.

So Francis, I will start making some sketches showing the assembly sequence and together with a part list I think it will shed some light on how the boat could be build.
Morten Olesen - Boatplans.dk
Blog: http://BoatBuildingArticles.com/

Check out my author page at Amazon and browse for boat building books: http://www.boatplans.dk/news.asp?news=amazon
lost1966
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by lost1966 »

Boatplans.dk wrote:Thank you Francis, I am glad you like the plans.

I guess the sea scout have become my bad conscience since it is a design I should have made some more work on long time ago. I also guess it is the right time to do it now.

First the dxf-file is 1:1 metric units. This means that if you want it in inches you will need to scale it 1/25.4=0.0394. You can always check the scaling by measuring the sheets since they are in metric 2440x1220 before the scaling and after scaling it should be 96"x48".

I have checked the different panels that will be needed for the boat, and some of them are too wide for my plotter. Furthermore this is a large boat for full size patterns and together with shipping from Denmark, I think it will be an unpleasant expensive solution for you if I should deliver the patterns. Maybe Matt will be able to give you a reasonable offer for them?

Also the precut kits might be a good solution to consider, depending on how much time you got for the building. Using precut kits eliminates the time you normally use for lofting and cutting. Furthermore having the parts cut on a cnc makes the accuracy much better than you can ever obtain by lofting and cutting by hand.

So Francis, I will start making some sketches showing the assembly sequence and together with a part list I think it will shed some light on how the boat could be build.

ahoy mate,

Thanks a bunch for getting back with me about scale... I have no problem with lofting the plans myself, but that parts list and building sequence would be a hoot....Very important so's I don't end up putting the mast where the keel oughta be and the transum up in the bow of the thing.....

let me know when ya get it going so I can begin aquiring materials.....

Again, thanks a bunch

Once I begin, I will be more than pleased of doing a step by step building process with tons of digital photos explaining the comlete build.

Francis
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

let me know if you want me to look into full size patterns or cnc kit for you.
-Matt. Designer.
lost1966

Post by lost1966 »

Jem,

I guess getting a quote for the lofted paper templates can't hurt.
I have a feeling that they might be pretty expensive.
But go ahead and email me a price...

Francis
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Francis,

You planning to sail the Chippewa? Or Evans Lake?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
lost1966

Post by lost1966 »

hey there kayak jack,

great to hear from you. Though I live on the Chippewa River, the waters around here are very shallow and there is a huge weed problem. So that said, I wont be putting nothing in the water here. Bad enough we went through 2 complete sets of oars alone here because of dense weeds.

There are many inland lakes around me though, Evens lk,6 lakes,Stevenson lk,Big lk,Chippewa lake etc... I will be building a Custom trailer for the Sea Scout upon completion of the hull. Thank god for the welding experience.

I will most likely be testing the waters per say.....when I find a good spot I will begin looking at chances of mooring 'er.

Ya know of any good water nearby? I reside in Barryton, Michigan betwixt Mt.Pleasant and Big Rapids and Just north of remus on RT.66.

Francis
lost1966

How many Sheets?

Post by lost1966 »

Morten,

Just been looking over the DXF files for the sea scout and have a question pertaining to how many sheets of ply I will need.

The download site says the vessel can be built from 16 sheets, the DXF file shows 15 sheets but the text at the bottom of this page shows 18 sheets. Which is correct?

http://sailing.about.com/gi/dynamic/off ... DMO-scout1

Francis :?
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Francis,

Mate, I would get 20 sheets (at least) There will probably be little extras you want to make and the extra sheet or 3 will give you a little leeway for any mistakes you may make. :D :D

Ply is very handy stuff and it wont be wasted. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

hairymick wrote:... Ply is very handy stuff and it wont be wasted. :D
And when it comes to "swapping stock", plywood is the coin of the realm.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Boatplans.dk
Design Reviewer

Post by Boatplans.dk »

Francis,

The right number of plywood sheets is 15 for version 1. Version 2 takes a bit more plywood, so that's where the 18 sheets come from.

Sorry for the confusion :oops:
Morten Olesen - Boatplans.dk
Blog: http://BoatBuildingArticles.com/

Check out my author page at Amazon and browse for boat building books: http://www.boatplans.dk/news.asp?news=amazon