Sea Scout 1 Cuddy Sailboat

Builder show and discuss their progress.
lost1966
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Wow! This is nuts, but I am gonna do it....soon as I can.

Post by lost1966 »

Just finished doing some local pricing of material..actually, just the plywood,glass tape,cloth and epoxy resins.

15 sheets of 4'x8' exterior cabinet finish with no voids and in the sizes needed will only cost me $133.69+tax

Glass tape 6" width will cost me $41.00 per 50yd roll, so at least 2 rolls = $82.00 + tax

Glass cloth will cost me $3.45 per yard. 125 yards @ 38" width will cost $431.25+tax and if I glass both the inside and out? double that. $914.50 with tax

Epoxy &Hardener @ $56.00 per gallon x 5 gallons = $280.00 (may need more?)

So, let's see here....Basic Hull Glassed for the Sea Scout 1 will run approximately $1,424.85 dollars USD.

This does not include any tools or wood flour for working. oh yeah , that does not include the $75.00 to have the plan template files lofted and printed full scale at my local sign shop.

popsicle sticks and zipties for stitching can be purchased from a dollar store or equivilent for pennies. Could be a large amount to start out with, but I have to think......If I do things right, what will the finished result be worth?

Estimated cost to finish? $2,000.00-$4,000.00
Estimated time to complete? 6 month-1 year
Value of vessel once complete? Priceless!!!
Boatplans.dk
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Boatplans.dk »

Just a quick update to let you know I am still working on the project :D

The assembly details and part list is almost ready. Within a few days I expect them to be finished for download. I post a message here later this week and let you know how it is going.
Morten Olesen - Boatplans.dk
Blog: http://BoatBuildingArticles.com/

Check out my author page at Amazon and browse for boat building books: http://www.boatplans.dk/news.asp?news=amazon
lost1966

Post by lost1966 »

I thank you kind sir...I will keep checking back.....

This oughta turn out to be a real hoot.

Lost
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Lost,

Lemme know when it's near completion. I'd like to come see it. I'll drive up and take a look.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
lost1966

Post by lost1966 »

Sure thing,

I will keep all informed as well as post pics of the building process.

This will be a first ever sailboat build for me...I have built many speed boats,make shift canoes, rafts,and such. Also, just to mention....My wife and I sponsor a boat/raft building contest and race every year. Where contestants are required to build a boat/raft completely by scratch.( they cannot use or purchase any item currently commercialy available for a boat, has to be completelty hand made.) Must meet any rules governed by the wife and I such as materials to be used, size/weight limitations, vessels can be of any configuration, ei...flat bottom,shallow v,deep v,cat or twin hull,must be able to carry 3 persons, carry life preservers for all persons aboard, have a team flag, and be completely human powered via, paddles/oars or ped power. vessels may have a sail utilizing no more than 100 square feet of material, etc..... These vessels are to have a safety line attached to a flotation device in case of failure/sinking so that they may be retrieved from the river bottom. All vessels must complete a 20 mile river coarse. Mind you some areas of this river is ankle deep so ya better be able to carry it to the next water hole...lol...where other areas are belly deep.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

I have to admit that I've sometimes dreamed of a small Sail boat with a cabin for 3-4 people so two could be comfortable. sail around (don't have the foggiest idea where at) and sleep in it at night.

Now, for me this is an impractical idea, but a decent dream. Can't car-top a boat of this size, and I deplore hauling a trailer. So, let it remain a misty dream.

Maybe, though, if I could get a rich girlfriend? One who liked sailing, and building boats, and ....
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Boatplans.dk
Design Reviewer

Post by Boatplans.dk »

I am glad to announce that the assembly details are ready for download. The assembly details are free as the dxf file, but it will require you register for the download. Furthermore there are two new dxf files to download. One for metric measures and one scaled for inches. So there should be no confusion about the scaling.

The assembly details contain details about the assembly of the hull. Sorry to say but you will have to wait a few weeks more before I have the rigging details finished. I'll let you know when they are ready and anyone registered for the download will be sent a notice when they are ready.

I hope you like the details and that it can cast fresh light on how the hull should be assembled.
Morten Olesen - Boatplans.dk
Blog: http://BoatBuildingArticles.com/

Check out my author page at Amazon and browse for boat building books: http://www.boatplans.dk/news.asp?news=amazon