Video on fiberglass tape edge

Info about our Products and Services
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Video on fiberglass tape edge

Post by jem »

I'm experimenting with setting up some video "how-to" steps. Until I get them in a easy to download format, I'll post on You Tube. See what you think.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HnPY2lHsR1E
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Not getting picky but if the camera was not moving around so much , it is distracting.

A chisel is nice , why not a cabinet scraper , it might be easier for someone new at this to use a pull stroke then pushing. There is a grater chance of not gouging the wood of the boat since it is wider and could run along on the glass side.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

it's just a test sample.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

My observations and comments echo Chuck's precisely. Mount the camera on a tripod; use a scraper with a pull stroke.

Last shot should/ could be of you smiling into the camera with a gracious countenance, and a friendly comment. (And, of course, with a clean shirt on.)
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Kayak Jack wrote:My observations and comments echo Chuck's precisely. Mount the camera on a tripod; use a scraper with a pull stroke.

Last shot should/ could be of you smiling into the camera with a gracious countenance, and a friendly comment. (And, of course, with a clean shirt on.)
Matt . You have hit on a grand idea , it will be a big help to new builders and for you doing this , I have to go with Jack.....

Something in there about it being helpful hints from JEM Watercraft for anyone building a wood boat , .......... Not just yours but anyones. This would show your willingness to help anyone which some of us know but a new person would not know.

Some times it is best to blow your own whistle and tell folks that you will help them , no matter who's boat they are building , Guess where they will go for there next boat.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Wimperdink
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Wimperdink »

I think personally that while a non shakey camera hand is nice, I would have been delighted to see that exact video a long time ago. :D All BS aside I think seeing something happen is a great lesson and your doing a great thing. Keep up the good work.
I make stuff up!
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I'll look into doing some better staging. This was just an experiment. I was holding the camera in one hand and working with the other.
-Matt. Designer.
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

This is a first I think Matt. Even with the wobbly camera, I can't wait to see what you show us next. I would especially like to see a video, or an extensively illustrated manual, on "stitch tuning" and whatever else accomplished boatbuilders have up their sleeve.

By the way, I like the chisel thing but we don't use tape here since it is not available. :)
Louis
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

voice over?

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

I'm betting the Mrs. would instill more confidence for the narration. :wink:
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

The naration would have been better had I not been trying to hold the camera, do the work, and explain it all at the same time.

If I do future ones, I'll have it all staged better.
-Matt. Designer.