Need help with Square Stern Paddling/Poling Canoe

Info about our Products and Services
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Need help with Square Stern Paddling/Poling Canoe

Post by jem »

Greetings forum members. Ther wa sa disuccion about creating a canoe the could be paddled and poled. Meaning something stable enough to stand in.

We've come up with a basic design but would like some more input.

So read on and feel free to comment and help improve the design.
Last edited by jem on Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt. Designer.
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

That is another option but I like the lower free board of the Buc. Less windage in open water where I frequently go.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Hmmm...perhaps lower the front then for a flat deck to keep windage down and make it easy to mount stuff on.
-Matt. Designer.
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

I definately see some possibilities there. It wouldn't be hard to add a transom and to cut down the sides a little. Plus the flat floor would make standing easier and footing for secure. Thanks I will look into it some more.

I think I might pass on the purple with polka dots, though.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

surfman wrote: I think I might pass on the purple with polka dots, though.

Oh come on now! :lol:
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Ok I played with a sketch over lunch.

This is currently 32" x 14'. Will carry 350 pounds with no trouble at all. Could take up to the 600 pound range. But 400 is the most that really should go on board.

Not the prettiest looking thing. Bow and stern ends are kept low to minmize the effects of wind. You'll need some sort of deck the first 3' or so on the bow with a small splash rail to keep water out of the inside for choppy water.

Bow entry is pretty verticle but that will help with speed a little bit. Could be swept back some for a sharper entry.

It's a square stern so it won't have blazing speed. But with the tumblehome sides, and most of the width near the water, sitting in a high position or even standing on the floor of the canoe and poling should not a be problem.

The slight V bottom should help with tracking. I have not done it much, but I know poling and keeping the boat staight is not always an easy task.

A trolling motor would scoot this along pretty darn fast. 3hp OB is the max you could put on it.
-Matt. Designer.
surfman

Post by surfman »

Wow! Now you’re talking. I like the looks of that. You are right about splashing especially in open water a 1 foot chop is not unusual and I did think about that. Is this the one you mentioned in the earlier e-mails to me? I was afraid to pursue that too much for fear that you might put in a lot of work and I might not like it but, so far I like that.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

This is along the lines of the other square stern I sketched and we talked about.

Drawing the hulls to this point is pretty easy. It's when getting into making the 2D panel drawings and such that gets time consuming.

We can tweak it more here in the forum and then discuss cost via e-mail if you want. This one is pretty simple so it won't be too expensive. But more than off-the-shelf plans.
-Matt. Designer.
surfman

Post by surfman »

I understand, I pretty much like it as it is. I might add a seat or something but that is the easy part it is the hull layout that is tricky, as I am sure you know. I will stay tuned, maybe someone else will have some input and some ideas too. If you do decide to develope this one I am very interested.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Comments frum an Olde Farte:

Would you consider thinking of the aft edge of the deck with more curve? Splash rail could blend into upper gunnels easier, and could continue splash rail further aft if thought useful.

Seats could be movable benches (low profile & light weight) merely sitting in bottom of boat. One movable bench could be an epoxied plywood box with ice & adult beverages inside.

Just cogitating.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.