|Custom Design Services
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||jem [ Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:54 pm ]|
|Post subject:||Custom Design Services|
I've retyped this enough times in e-mail that I thought it would be useful just to post it.
Many times builders want a particular design but they want it 6" shorter, 2" wider, etc. Or they want a design that just isn't available anywhere else.
We offer these kinds of custom design services. Pricing depends on the complexity of the project. Below is an example of how the process works.
1) We, the designer and customer, establish the feasibility of a design. Customer decides to enlist our services.
2) A fee is agreed upon and the customer pays a 50%, non-refundable deposit. Reason for this is to ensure the customer is committed to the project. We've gotten burned a few times with having the project almost done and the customer disappear.
3) E-mails, faxes, hand sketches, etc are exchanged with images and statistics of the design. We exchange ideas, thoughts, changes, etc until the customer is satisfied.
4) The documentation, drawings and instructions, are drawn up and the materials requirements are established. This process takes 1-2 weeks depending on the design.
5) Customer is informed of the materials needed and advised what building materials will be needed to build their hull.
6) Once the customer is happy with that, the formal plans are drawn up and the customer is notified when they are ready to be mailed. Customer pays the balance due and the plans are shipped.
|Author:||jem [ Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:27 am ]|
Just a quick update to this service:
I'm going to make it a general rule now that you have to have built one of my designs before I'll consider providing a custom design service.
I feel that a customer having that bit of experience will aid their decision making process and avoid a lot of confusion.
Exceptions can be made on a case by case basis. But as a general rule, you need to have experience building from the JEM Watercraft method before requesting a custom design.
|Author:||Oldsparkey [ Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:38 pm ]|
|Post subject:||Re: Custom Design Services|
Makes good seance to me , You do a lot more work ( thought) setting everything up for a custom build on one of your boats then the builder does when making the boat , they assemble the parts from the plans or kit you designed for them.
To Repeat myself ........You supplied the thought , time and everything else to make it possible for them to build the boat they want , all they do is assemble the parts. ( I know that for a fact since I am one of those persons that has assembling the finalized parts for the boat they wanted )
Without you taking your time to design it , to there wishes which can or does take a lot of communication and time to get it right for them. They would not have a personal , one on one , with the designer and then a craft of there desires for there pleasure along with all of the personal and web support while they build it.
The priceless part today is having the ability to communicate with the designer of the boat and others when building it when asking questions about the build. If you ( A Person ) knows the procedure to build a boat the person designs then the next build ( custom) is even easier.
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]|
|Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group