Sabalo

Info about our Products and Services
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

hairymick wrote: A question, if I may. Why do you think so many kayak fishermen are so obsessed with a dry ride? It makes little sense to me when it is obtained at the expense of the boats performance. If being dry is so important, surely there is suitable clothing available.
I think it's a case of wanting the best of all worlds. When it's blazing hot, who cares if you're wet? It feels good! :lol:

When it's cold but you still want to paddle, it's no fun getting wet. But like you said Mick, there is proper clothing.

The fisherman want the safety of a SOT but the conveinence and dry ride of a canoe.

hmmmm........

the safety of a SOT but the conveinence and dry ride of a canoe. :D

Get's a guy thinking. :P
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Like Chuck, I've built the {edited} too. And, the {edited}. Between the two, the {edited} is the better paddling boat - and holds as much cargo even though shorter.

When you convert the {edited} to a SOT, make sure your gunnels are very strong. the boats is designed to have the deck on for internal bracing and full strength. Frankly, I wish you luck.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

jem wrote:... The fisherman want the safety of a SOT but the conveinence and dry ride of a canoe...
Can you say "Chris Craft"?
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I had to edit out the names of the competitor.

Sorry guys, just doing good business. 8)

A great place to compare and contrast designs from all companies is at the www.southernpaddler.com forum. You might learn more than you want to about grits, though. :roll:
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

jem wrote:I had to edit out the names of the competitor.
But ... you left in "Chris Craft"!!!
Kayak Jack
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Kayak Jack wrote:
jem wrote:I had to edit out the names of the competitor.
But ... you left in "Chris Craft"!!!
Little bit bigger boats. :lol:
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Scott,

I sent you an e-mail.
-Matt. Designer.
Scott Thornley

Post by Scott Thornley »

A couple things:

1) The <Duck native to the West Coast of North America> is probably relatively fast, and will be nice and light, but in some senses, it will be very little joy to paddle. From what I gather, it tracks like it's on rails. So adios to manueverability. But my hope is that it will be just the ticket for nasty following or quartering seas after being out all day.

2) I don't really know why kayak fishermen are so obsessed with a dry ride. It is kind of a drag to sit in a wetsuit that's in a puddle, but I'm used to it from WW rafting/WW kayaking/surf zone play in a SIK etc... And north of Point Conception, it really is a good idea to wear some sort of wetsuit year round. I'm not saying that it's mandatory, but it is a good idea.

3) I don't buy into the whole "SOT's are safer" idea. If they were, then why are the Brits in the North Sea and the class VI WW boaters all in SIK's ? I'm going SOT for fishing, because SOT's are hands down a better fishing platform. End of story. I'm giving up paddling capability, and "real" safety in order to gain ease of access to the storage areas while on the water, and the ability to sit sideways. Real safety to me means speed and control, not the ability to get back on a boat.

As for the gunwhales on the <Duck etc...>, I doubt that I'll beef them up any more than they are. <Short African> uses the same thickness and fiber glass build schedule on their <Fish Hawk> and <Species of Salmon> and they are not two panel designs. I will be doing some sort of framing under the cockpit much like the Sabalo though. I always say it's a good idea to copy the good ideas :)

Anyway, I'll really keep an eye on goings on here. If Matt does go for an even more high performance SOT, I'll be sure to recommend it to people.

Regards,
Scott
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Scott - you win a Dickens award as the "Artful Dodger" in name dropping.

Sounds like you are thinking things through pretty well. I have zero experience in salt water; I live in south central Michigan and paddle the Canadian Shield country, Great Lakes area rivers & lakes.

I've taken my (species of salmon) over beaver dams with a full load of camping gear, and my 200 pound carcass in it. We routinely lift the boat from end grab handles while it is fully loaded. These actions stress the hull a lot.

They are a full monocoque design, getting all their strength from the skin, just like an egg. If you remove part of the skin, you are removing part of the strength. If you plan to put to sea in it, I'd suggest replacing that lost strength with something. Just my thoughts.
Kayak Jack
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Kayak Jack wrote: I've taken my (species of salmon) over beaver dams with a full load of camping gear, and my 200 pound carcass in it. We routinely lift the boat from end grab handles while it is fully loaded. These actions stress the hull a lot.
A deck is a nice thing to have on at lease one of your boats.

I use the decked over kayak (same model as Jacks ) when it is going to be wet out , as in a lot of rain and I want to stay dry while paddling and keep all my camping gear dry.
Or if I know I will be getting into some really rough water (waves breaking over the deck) and want to keep a dry boat and be a dry paddler.

Paddled almost three days in the rain and was as dry as a bone in that kayak with a rain parka on and a skirt for the cockpit. Also paddled in one storm when the waves were really nasty , in fact the guy's with power boats would not go out on the water.... I stayed nice an dry while paddling. I enjoy paddling it because it is a fast boat , light weight and will take all of my gear and just about anything Mother Nature can throw at it. http://www.neilbank.com/oldsparkey/canoeman.jpg

Chuck.
Last edited by Oldsparkey on Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler