Sabalo

Info about our Products and Services
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Matt, Go for it mate. :D :D :D :D

I'm getting lots of inquiries over here too.

Oh man, I'm really starting to get pumped over this one.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

OK here's a preview:

15' x 26".

Plans and full kit to be listed shortly.

-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Okoume

Post by Kayak Jack »

I'm a bit spoiled - and prejudiced. Okoume is the only material I will build plywood boats with. Saving a little bit of money on other woods is often an expensive thing to do. Kinda like buying a bargain safety belt to go climb tall poles with.

Try a search on www.local.com It takes your location or ZIP and the commodity and searches it out. I got some surprises of what was available nearby when I did some searches.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
paddling4sharks

Post by paddling4sharks »

Mornin';
:lol: Sweet....just what I wanted...This should really "Tick" the wife off :P ...Oh and Jack I have to Kinda agree....Whiskey, Women & Yaks.... :D Oh by the way ...JEM..."You got an excellent feel for the current "Pulse" of the SOT community....Excellent Job
Last edited by paddling4sharks on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

paddling4sharks wrote:Mornin';
:lol: Sweet....just what I wanted...This should really "Tick" the wife off :P
yea...I imagine so! :lol:
-Matt. Designer.
paddling4sharks

Results

Post by paddling4sharks »

Mornin';
Pretty Cool JEM. I've "looked" at the changes. What's the difference in performance.? Is Sabalo II faster due to the change of weight closer to the Center of the Yak? Some of the changes seem minor, but the weight change seems the greatest, I was just curious in the final result. I'm a big guy. So I know it will not be as fast we me as a 175lb guy. I noticed a small decrease in the tankwell size, but it looks to be about 36"(very respectable) It looks like the area between the seat and livewell is about 12" wide. Real nice for rod holders and maybe a recessed cooler. Adding a Rudder might be a lil' harder, but I really like the pointed aft vice the square back. It looks like maybe only 2 scubbers, probably better, less chance of leakage problems. With the Cockpit simular to a "Redfish" it really wouldn't be a problem with no "Scubber". We tend to keep the plugs in anyway, unless alot of water accumilates. "BareFoot Dave's" Sabalo shows what appears to be a 10" hatch in the bottom of the TankWell. Is there that much storage under there, or is it more for inspection and water extraction? Just how fast is it? I'm not expecting alot. My main Fishin' Yak is a Cobra FND ("AirCraft Carrier"). Anyway I really appreciate the added lil' info you dropped. Thinking of maybe driving up in a couple of weeks (pending your finalizing production, and depending on Shipping Charges, if pick-up is available vice shipping). ....yea I'm real interested and itchin' to build :lol:
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Paddlin4Sharks, Glad you like my boat :D

Mate, this boat was a custom design for me. What I was hoping to achieve was a hull with genuine surf and rough water capability (Sabalo has this allready IMHO) only, in a high performance sea kayak - planing hull.

I paddle a lot of miles off-shore, So the performance and hull efficiency thing was important to me. I am a pretty big guy too (around 200 pounds)
The boat has a load capacity of around 300 plus.

I will be installing a centre consol with access to the area under the paddler. This will be insulated as a fish keeper box - likewise the hatch behind the paddler.

I don't think a rudder will be necessary but will be installing one in mine - working on a prototype now.

regards,

Mick
Regards,
Mick

jem
Site Admin

Re: Results

Post by jem »

paddling4sharks wrote:Mornin';
Pretty Cool JEM. I've "looked" at the changes. What's the difference in performance.? Is Sabalo II faster due to the change of weight closer to the Center of the Yak?
This one, to be named Wadefish, will be slightly faster than the Sabalo due to it's decreased beam. Some initial stability will be sacraficed. It's side profile height is alomst a full 2" lower at 10". The original concpet for this design was something a wadefisherman on the Texas flats. There's actually a similar 16' version being built in Texas. That customer wanted something to get in and out of quickly and comfortably on the texas flats. Minimum wind-sailing was also a requirement.

I'm guessing I might get requests for a 17' version of this one day.

This model should be a little lighter than the Sabalo as well.
Some of the changes seem minor, but the weight change seems the greatest, I was just curious in the final result. I'm a big guy. So I know it will not be as fast we me as a 175lb guy. I noticed a small decrease in the tankwell size, but it looks to be about 36"(very respectable) It looks like the area between the seat and livewell is about 12" wide. Real nice for rod holders and maybe a recessed cooler.
The tankwell is 36" long and will fit a standard milkcrate toward the front end. There is 12" of deck between the cockpit and tankwell.
Adding a Rudder might be a lil' harder, but I really like the pointed aft vice the square back. It looks like maybe only 2 scubbers, probably better, less chance of leakage problems. With the Cockpit simular to a "Redfish" it really wouldn't be a problem with no "Scubber". We tend to keep the plugs in anyway, unless alot of water accumilates. "BareFoot Dave's" Sabalo shows what appears to be a 10" hatch in the bottom of the TankWell. Is there that much storage under there, or is it more for inspection and water extraction?
There's a good 5" that can be used under the tankwell. There is some framing under it to support a 5 gallon bucket full of water and bait. So there is some room, but not a whole lot.

Under the cockpit has some nice storage possibilities for a day hatch.

2 scuppers are shown. Adding addtional ones is a task a builder should be able to handle.
Just how fast is it? I'm not expecting alot. My main Fishin' Yak is a Cobra FND ("AirCraft Carrier"). Anyway I really appreciate the added lil' info you dropped.
How fast? Tough to answer. It should outpace a Tarpon 160i with similar weight and paddler on board.
Thinking of maybe driving up in a couple of weeks (pending your finalizing production, and depending on Shipping Charges, if pick-up is available vice shipping). ....yea I'm real interested and itchin' to build :lol:
Well you can drive up, but there's not much to see! :lol:
Office is a small room in my home. Some prototype work done in an extremely messy shop/spare room.

I outsource the CNC work a local shop. Epoxy and fiberglass are drop shipped from FL or NY depending on brand you choose. By the time you spend the 4 hours driving up and sucking up gas @ $2.80 a gallon, shipping becomes a good choice.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Do you guys realize how neat it is to have fellows from different parts of the world working together to figure out how to set up a boat? THAT is a demonstration of the Brotherhood of paddlers.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Jack,

I think it is outstanding. :D

Hi Matt, I think you have answered Paddle$Sharks far more eloquently than I could have.

Hi Paddle4Sharks , I just love the lines of the Sabalo but I believe it has a more of a displacement hull than I wanted. I was after a boat that I could also effectively "play" in the surf if I wanted - a little like a Aussie Surk Ski. The places I fish often mean paddling several miles back with a following sea and chop. I wanted a boat with very good accelleration to take advantage of the swells and chops by surfing them.

I think a 17 footer would be a real good thing :D
Regards,
Mick