Hairie's Sasquatch 16.5 (Big Foot)

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Mick....

Never worry .. NO ONE will be looking at you in such a beautiful canoe. Trust me they will only remember the canoe.

Later down the river , if they meet you then I would say 50 - 50 at the best. Probably 60 - 40 in the canoes favor. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your friend :roll:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
paddlepup
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by paddlepup »

Boat looks great on the water Mick,

I take it you didn't catch any fish or there would have been a couple of "brag" shots included :lol: :lol: . Good looking bit of water too...is there normally that much water is it a result of the recent wet spell :?: :?:
Cheers
Dave
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Mick,

You make the boat look.... um..... "rugged".

:lol: :P :twisted:
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

that looks like a proper expedition canoe to take into Canadian backwaters. It will carry the mail for you.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day guys,

Sorry about the tardy reply here. Been a little pre-occupied.

Chucky, you are absolutely correct mate. A lady who came on this trip with us, reckons the boat is sexy (her words) :shock:

G'day Pup,

No fish mate. With all the recent rain combined with land clearing that has been going on here, the PH level of the water has changed and the fish have shut right down for now. The spillway level was recently raised 2 metres and the lunatics also engaged in massive land clearing all along the banks. (bare earth policy) With the heavy rain, all the top soil has washed into the lake and silted it up terribly. When the silt finally settles to the bottom the lake probably won't hold a drop more water now than it did before they started.
Mick,

You make the boat look.... um..... "rugged
Thanks Matt...................I think :lol:

G'day Jack,

Welcome back mate. and thank you :D

This really is a great boat. She will do everything that I wanted in a tripping canoe, is useful in skinny water, and while I haven't yet tried her in significant chop, I am certain she is more than up to the task.

She is a very big Canadian canoe by Australian standards. I had a look at a fibreglass boat of similar proportions the other day and the thing was at least twice as heavy as Sasquatch. I have paddled boats like these before and hated them, simply because they were such hard work to get to the water and more importantly, back to the car after a long days paddling. No such issues with Sasquatch, simply unload her, easy solo lift onto the shoulder or top of head and off you go. A lot like a very good kayak 8)

Matt,

When you get the time, I would encourage you to consider drawing up a 14 foot version of this boat to add to your allready impressive fleet of canoes.

Still waiting on better piccies of her in the water. My mate has let me down some in this regard.

will post as soon as they get here.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

14' version will get there. Couple other tasks to clean up first.
-Matt. Designer.
zeb

Post by zeb »

14' version will get there. Couple other tasks to clean up first.
GREAT NEWS 8) 8) 8)
All The Best
Zeb
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

OK,

More piccies from this trip have finally arrived. (Thanks Kris) :D

As I have said, she slips along with a minimum of fuss or effort.

so much so, that I had no trouble keeping up with one of these,

I love this boat. So much so that I just can't wait to get her back into the water again. I have no hesitation in recommending Sasquatch to anybody who is considering building a very serious tripping canoe. She is a genuine paddlers boat, capable of covering a lot of miles quickly with a minimum of effort, very stable and comfortable and absolutely silent with no hull slap at all when paddling into small chop. I just don't have enough good words to say about her.

Matt, if any of these piccies are of any use to you, please feel free to use them. :D Hope to get better ones soon. :D :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Mick...

Some great pictures , Now about that guy in the canoe , we will not touch on that subject.
As I said .. Some great pictures of the canoe , she is a winner and the paddler..... He ain't that bad either since Ms.Robin likes him. :lol:

Chuck.
Honestly ... Mick , Great photos , I really enjoyed them , a beautiful canoe and a happy paddler.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Yep....She's a beauty. You've done a great job on her Mick.
Last edited by olsnappa on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"