Another JEM Pirogue off the assembly line

Builder show and discuss their progress.
PaddleHard

Another JEM Pirogue off the assembly line

Post by PaddleHard »

Done!!!! Except for the varnish. How long after the last coat of epoxy should I wait to start the varnish process? and how many coats of varnish? should I lightly sand epoxy before varnish? and the last question how do I post photos.
I have to say it is a rewarding feeling to have made a boat, I'm guessing it floats. I don't know why it wouldn't.
I am very impressed with epoxy and the wood flour epoxy 'glue'. But why add the wood flour, why not straight epoxy? Simple question..... For structure? or my favorite word 'rigidity'?
Anyway, I will post again with pictures and what I found to be an essential weapon for building.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Varies from epoxy brands, but I would wait a few days at least.
and how many coats of varnish?
At least 4.

should I lightly sand epoxy before varnish?
Yes

how do I post photos.
Here is how I post them. :D

viewtopic.php?t=2225
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

I usually wait at least a week (or longer) before I apply any varnish. Thats a Florida week with the temps in the upper 80's.

I sand the entire boat (that will get varnish) down smooth (180 or 220 grit), so the entire surface is uniformly dull, any shiny spots are low spots. The "dull" will disappear when you apply the first coat of varnish. Wiping down with a damp towel will show you about what it will look like after the first coat. The smoother the surface is when you start, the better your varnish will look when you are finished. Varnish will not hide anything.

At least four coats of varnish, I do minimum of four on the hull and 5 or more on the deck. The deck gets more exposure to the UV rays than the hull. I wet sand (400 grit, the first sanding, 600 the next) between every other coat, others sand between every coat. If the fifth coat looks good, then I am done, if not I add another. Varnish has the knack of attracting every single floating dog hair, gnat, dust particle etc.. The cleaner your room is, less likely to have those thing floating around.

Wood flour thickens the epoxy so that it doesnt just run out of the joint you are trying to glue up. Mustard verse water.

And the essential weapon for boat building would be??????? Come on, we want to know. :lol:

DM
PaddleHard

Weapons

Post by PaddleHard »

For $12 bucks a carbide scraper is the best tool/ weapon I bought. I didn't get it until more than half way done with the build but I will build again.
Anybody wet sand before varnish?
I will post photos later today.
dangermouse01

Re: Weapons

Post by dangermouse01 »

PaddleHard wrote:For $12 bucks a carbide scraper is the best tool/ weapon I bought. I didn't get it until more than half way done with the build but I will build again.
Awwwww, I was hoping that I would get to buy another tool. I think me & Mick would both agree with you on the carbide scraper as the weapon of choice. Carbide being the key word, regular steel scrapers work, but the carbide ones are just so much easier, and the blade stays sharp for what seems forever. At least two boats worth of time.

DM
PaddleHard

Pirogue got wet

Post by PaddleHard »

I thought it was pretty great when I finished the boat construction, then I took it to the nearest pond and paddled around. That is the freaking best feeling. Now it is a boat, not just a large paperweight. Anyway, I am including a link to photobucket album, photos through construction and the most recent in the water, with a video. Can't wait to get it into water deeper than 6 feet and catching fish.
http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/ ... 20pirogue/

Now what next??????

a Laker maybe?
coogzilla

RE:

Post by coogzilla »

Real nice boat.

Sasquatch next. Keith