landing craft and adventuring boat

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
Kansas Volunteer

landing craft and adventuring boat

Post by Kansas Volunteer »

I've a design in mind I'd like some opinions on.

Basically it's a solo boat for traveling rivers full of sandbars and exploring up little side streams. I've used a canoe for this before, and a small kayak, but find their pointy bows and sterns a disadvantage.

The design I imagine is a hybrid canoe or pirogue and punt. It would be driven with a double paddle, like a kayak. I see it as an asymmetric flat bottomed hull about 30 inches of beam at the widest point, 24-inches at the stern and 18-inches at the bow. Overall length would approach 16-feet, or the most that could be squeezed out of a double length of standard plywood. It would have some flare and be narrower on the bottom, maybe 24-inches at the widest point, just wide enough for me to sit in comfortably. The bow and stern would be raked.

The reason for this hull shape is to make landing on sandbars easier, and to make it less likely to tip when hauling it over fallen logs blocking small streams. It's more sled like design would make it easier to haul up and down banks as well, compared to a pointy boat. When hauling my canoe or kayak over fallen logs, the pointy bow on the log and the pointy stern in the water, everything gets real exciting as the boats want to tip over. A craft with punt-like bow and stern should be much less tippy in such situations.

The asymmetric hull would allow more space in front of the paddeling position than behind. This is to make it easier to lay out fishing rods and tackle on the bottom of the boat while traveling.

I see it as also having widely spaced double skegs to help keep it tracking in a wind, without giving up the advantage of a square stern.

Well, that's a very rough sketch and explaination. Any comments?
Jimmy W
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Jimmy W »

That sounds a lot like a narrow john boat or Ozark float boat built asymmetric with a raked stern.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

-Matt. Designer.
Kansas Volunteer

The Ozarks float boat plans look fairly similar to what I have in mind. I ordered the plans for it last night, but so far have not recieved an e-mail from Denmark acknowledging the order, nor giving instructions for a download of the plans. Are longer than advertised waits for these usual?
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

They are about 8 hours ahead and it's the weekend. I'm sure Morten will deliver shortly. If not, send him an e-mail.
-Matt. Designer.
Kansas Volunteer

Well, so far no information from Boatplnas.dk on the Ozarks float boat plans I ordered over the weekend. No reply today to my e-mail. I've e-mailed again. My imprression is the business should be dealt with cautiously. The web site is misleading about delivery times and such.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Mate, Have you checked your junk mail folder?
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kansas Volunteer

Yep! I checked my spam filter and there was nothing there but the usual spam. the Boatplans.dk web site says after ordering plans on-line, you can be downloading them in as little as 60-seconds. Many, many minutes have passed since I entered my credit card information, and still not a peep out of Denmark. I'm thinking I should have been more careful. I can afford to lose the money, but it's just the idea of getting ripped off that doesn't settle well with me. That's the way I'm feeling right now.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi KV,

Mate, I have bought plans of Morton with no hitch.

I can understand your frustration but please be a little patient. I am confident your plans will be sent ASAP. We don't know what is happening on the other side of the world at the moment or even if MORTON is well or not. He is good people - Have no fear :D

Morton will be along shortly and fix things up.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Kansas Volunteer wrote:Yep! I checked my spam filter and there was nothing there but the usual spam. the Boatplans.dk web site says after ordering plans on-line, you can be downloading them in as little as 60-seconds. Many, many minutes have passed since I entered my credit card information, and still not a peep out of Denmark. I'm thinking I should have been more careful. I can afford to lose the money, but it's just the idea of getting ripped off that doesn't settle well with me. That's the way I'm feeling right now.
I sent an e-mail to Morten. He'll will get you squared away. Morten is a good guy.
-Matt. Designer.