Teddy's Free Laker

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Teddy Madison
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Teddy's Free Laker

Post by Teddy Madison »

WooHoo! Started today!!!

I started mapping out the pieces last night and finished sheet 1 this morning and got them all cut out and started on edge sanding to snug up to the lines.

Thanks for the nice tip on using a fine metal cutting blade in the jigsaw, cuts Lauan just fine.

Wayne
Wayne
-------------
Free Laker - In Progress!!!
Teddy Madison
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Teddy Madison »

So all panels are now cut and sized up to each other. This weekend I venture into the world of epoxy!

Wayne
Wayne
-------------
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

one step at a time! 8)
-Matt. Designer.
coogzilla

Post by coogzilla »

Pic's!
Coogs
JEMWATERCRAFT:
Touring Pirogue-
Teddy Madison

Post by Teddy Madison »

Pics will be coming. Just figured there wouldn't be much interest in a bunch of panels. :)

I do believe I hit a small snag: I woke up at 4 this morning thinking about the bottom panels (Yes, bordeline obsessed). Anyhoo, when I lie the opposing panels flat, they are not running flush with each other, there is a small bow space about 2/3 towards the bow/stern with a total gap of around 1/8". Based on the plans this should not be as there is a taper but it's a straight line reducing 3/16 over the panel length. :(

I did notice I am 1/16" wide at the center end of the panels so I'm hoping I have to high ends and can sand the panels straight. Only other options are to make new ones or fillet the difference.

Wayne
Wayne
-------------
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Teddy Madison wrote:Pics will be coming. Just figured there wouldn't be much interest in a bunch of panels. :)

I do believe I hit a small snag: I woke up at 4 this morning thinking about the bottom panels (Yes, bordeline obsessed). Anyhoo, when I lie the opposing panels flat, they are not running flush with each other, there is a small bow space about 2/3 towards the bow/stern with a total gap of around 1/8". Based on the plans this should not be as there is a taper but it's a straight line reducing 3/16 over the panel length. :(

I did notice I am 1/16" wide at the center end of the panels so I'm hoping I have to high ends and can sand the panels straight. Only other options are to make new ones or fillet the difference.

Wayne
I'm not sure I follow you 100%. If you stack the panel on top of each other, are they all the same?
-Matt. Designer.
Teddy Madison

Post by Teddy Madison »

Yes, I shaped the panels and then stacked them and matched them up.

OK, let me try and be more clear. Let's pretend we are only dealing with the bow half of the boat. I take the two floor panels and lie them down as if they were ready to be stitched together. The tip (bow) and midship ends meet. there is a football shaped gap through the center between these two points as if I actually sanded a convex curve rather than a straight line.

If it's still foggy I will pop a pic when I get home tonight.
Wayne
-------------
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Teddy,

DON'T PANIC mate :lol:

This is as it is meant to be. When you hull panels are stitched in place, they will not be flat. There is a shallow "V" in the bottom panels and the little scoop you are talking about is to take car of this.

I am not sure how it works - but it does.

Once you get your panel splices made, lay the two bottom panels together, perfectly aligned and stitch them. Refer allmost any of the previous build threads. Then, open out the two bottom panels and hold them open to about the shape the bottom will finally be.

It all comes together like majic. You will see. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I think you're ok but I wouldn't mind seeing a picture.
-Matt. Designer.
Teddy Madison

Post by Teddy Madison »

OK, here's a pic (I hope). Sorry about taking so long, I forgot I had to put new rotors on the wifes van today.

So you can see here that the tips are touching, same thing is going on at the other end. You can see the gap that forms and based on the plan, it should be a straight line. I measured the other end and its 1/16 wide so I marked it where it should be and laid a batten from tip to the new mark and I think I'll be OK.

Last edited by Teddy Madison on Sat May 17, 2008 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wayne
-------------