DK - First build

Builder show and discuss their progress.
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

Congratulations Tor!! Looks like a successful launch and a great build.
I really like the detail on the ends. Nice work.
Which lake is that?
Amazing how the cooler weather slows down the build somewhat. I'm trailing behind you a little.....but not too far off a launch myself.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Not quire sure why the epoxy clouded. Shouldn't happen that fast from the sun. Does it feel like it's cured completely?

Nice looking craft!
-Matt. Designer.
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

It should be well cured. I hadn't put fresh epoxy on that part for weeks and I finished it whilst the the temperature was in the high twenties (that's about 80 in the big numbers).

It's only seen the outside light for 2 hours and the sun ain't shining at the moment (please don't mention the ozone hole :lol: ) Hopefully it will clear up when it's thoroughly dry.
olsnappa wrote:Which lake is that?
It was Lilydale Lake, good for a practice paddle and a playground for the kids (although they lost interest in the playground as soon as we launched the boat :lol: I was so pleased with that result). Gonna try Aura Vale in a couple of weeks and Lysterfeild when my mate finishes his sailing dingy in 3 weeks.

Shall wait until spring before I try it on the Yarra upstream of Warrandyte...

Tor
zeb

Post by zeb »

Congratulations Tor
Youve made a beauty there,love the breasthooks and the cup holder!!!! Good on Yer Mate.
All The Best
Zeb
Teddy Madison

Post by Teddy Madison »

Not being anywhere near expert, here's my 2 cents:

1. Could it be Amine blush? You state that it has not been varnished yet (This is assuming you didn't use a "blush resistant" hardener).

2. I see you used a charcoal heater to keep the epoxy warm at some point which would have surrounded the area in carbon. A boat builder friend of mine warned me against using Propane or any thing else that is high carbon because it can cause fogging of the epoxy.

3. If you used West System 206, they told me that it can fog for no apparent reason and that is why they developed 207.

Wayne
Wayne
-------------
Free Laker - In Progress!!!
coogzilla

Post by coogzilla »

Real nice Tor! Good job.

Coog's
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Tor,

Good job mate. Really nice boat, congratulations. :D

Re the clouding, What resin did you use? It looks a lot like ammine blush to me.

Try scrubbing with warm soapy water.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Tor

Post by Tor »

Re the clouding, What resin did you use? It looks a lot like ammine blush to me
Hey Mick, I used "botecote", haven't tried to remove it yet, I want to see if it goes away when dry. I'll have a crack at it at the weekend and we're planning to take it out again in 2 weeks so I'll see if it come back. Assuming it goes away...

Plans for little foot arrived today, :? , I'm going to need to read these a few times before I start... :lol:

Tor