New Canoe Plans: Sasquatch 14-30

Info about our Products and Services
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

Hi Matt,

Just need a few of things to be clarified.:?

page 31 section 19, could you complete the sentence for me " Even though the hull is not..."

and if I make two of the alignment jigs with smaller notches could I glue and leave them in so that I can shape the bow/stern in wood as opposed to fillet material?

It doesn't specify but I assume the normal ply to use would be 4mm, I have looked at a couple of places where I plan to paddle this design and there's a fair amount of sunken trees :shock: , there's a good chance I'll be contacting them underneath :twisted: :lol: . If I use 6mm for the floor panels will there be any problems (or advantages).

I intend to fully glass the outside and probably cover the whole of the bottom with 2 x 6oz glass - will this be overkill (I'm not an expert paddler)

Once I get going I think the build will be fairly straight forward now I've read the plans through. 8)

Thanks Matt,

Tor
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Tor wrote:Hi Matt,

Just need a few of things to be clarified.:?

page 31 section 19, could you complete the sentence for me " Even though the hull is not..."
oops! That should not be in there.
Tor wrote:and if I make two of the alignment jigs with smaller notches could I glue and leave them in so that I can shape the bow/stern in wood as opposed to fillet material?
You could make an outer bow stem like that. Make sure you have the end-grain of the ply well coated if you're going to use plywood.

I'm designing a stitch-and-glue Guideboat and am going to use that trick.

Tor wrote:It doesn't specify but I assume the normal ply to use would be 4mm, I have looked at a couple of places where I plan to paddle this design and there's a fair amount of sunken trees :shock: , there's a good chance I'll be contacting them underneath :twisted: :lol: . If I use 6mm for the floor panels will there be any problems (or advantages).

I intend to fully glass the outside and probably cover the whole of the bottom with 2 x 6oz glass - will this be overkill (I'm not an expert paddler)
The very bottom panels have a 90-degree twist to them. You'll have to fight a little harder to get them to shape properly. Make sure you're not using using a really stiff hardwood otherwise the panel might snap while you're building.
Tor wrote:I think with the extra layer of glass, you won't need the thicker ply.

Once I get going I think the build will be fairly straight forward now I've read the plans through. 8)

Thanks Matt,

Tor
:wink:
-Matt. Designer.
coogzilla
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by coogzilla »

Hey Matt and all.
Think 6mm sapele is too thick? Think it will break?
I can soften it up with a little hot water if need be.
Coogs
JEMWATERCRAFT:
Touring Pirogue-
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

sapele? That should do pretty good. good stuff.
-Matt. Designer.