jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Double Whammy... another Laker!

Post by jem »

-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Matt,

Congratulations again mate.

Your 13 footer is a superb kayak, This one is something special and I am certain will prove very popular.

It is approaching, what I would call as a recreational sea kayak and would be very suitable for our waters here.

Dang it Matt! How the heck can I keep up when you just keep coming out with more and more beautiful designs all the time.

Nah, keep it up mate, just kidding. I'll just sit back and drool over this one for a while. Bloody good job mate!
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I had these posted for about 30 minutes when my phone rang... bloke from the UK called to order a set!! :shock: 8)
-Matt. Designer.
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Post by Earvin »

Gday Matt,

I have yet to build my first boat but this one is on my shopping list now :D If you ever get to design a full blown expedition sea kayak that will be on my list too :roll:

Its all a bit of a worry really I haven't even started on the Pirogue and I have already picked out several kayaks to build in the future. I blame Mick :lol:
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

I have yet to build my first boat but this one is on my shopping list now If you ever get to design a full blown expedition sea kayak that will be on my list too
G'day Earvin, I have been dropping some pretty big hints in that regard too :lol: I think there might be something very special in the pipeline, but it is a little ways off yet.

In the meantime, have a look at the Southwind 17'9" As it is, I would call her a decked, ocean capable, expedition canoe.

I am not sure what you are looking for, exactly in an expedition sea kayak, but it just so happens I have a very good one in my shed. I prefer to paddle my Southwind in any conditions where I would normally be using my sea kayak. Quite simply, Southwind is a better boat.

A fully decked Southwind with a more conventional cockpit and spray skirt would be a superior rough water boat, In my opinion, than just about any store bought sea kayak on the market in Aus. - with way more load capacity and be allmost s fast as the best of them.
Regards,
Mick

Earvin

Post by Earvin »

Ok so now I have to had the Southwind to the list :wink: Actually if it is as good as you say Mick then one with a smaller cockpit and skirt sounds like the goods.

I have plans to do an open ocean paddle in the future which should take about a week so I need a boat that could handle these conditions and be able to take the amount of gear needed for this :wink: To be able to do this in a boat I have built myself would be just awesome 8)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

let's start another thread about the Sea Kayak idea. Look in the Questions section.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Mate,

The boat really is as good as I say it is. As far as I know, Mine is the only one in existence.

I have done a pretty detailed review on her here, somewhere. She was originally a custom order that Matt did for me. After the first couple of trips, Matt asked me " What would make the boat better?"

Well, I thought very long and hard on this, walked round and round her for a couple of days and I could not think of anything I would change that could make her better for what I wanted, than she allready was.

My expedition sea kayak is for sale but everytime somebody comes round to see it (and it is a very good boat in immaculate condition) and they see it side by side with the Southwind, they all want to buy Southwind (which is not and never will be for sale)

I wouldn't take my Southwind out through big surf simply because of the huge open cockpit. But I have played in small waves and had a ball. The boat is very predictable, stable and maneuverable. I am not sure if this will play right through to beaching but here is a small vid of here in very small surf.

Regards,
Mick

Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Earvin wrote:... I have plans to do an open ocean paddle in the future which should take about a week so I need a boat that could handle these conditions...
Earvin,

Allow me to interject a bit here. No matter what boat you use on the week-long sea expedition, practice more than one method of self-rescue before you go out. In the final analysis, there is only one guy you can count on when the chips are down. And, that had better be yourself.

An EPIRB/PLB wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Earvin

Post by Earvin »

Kayak Jack wrote:
Earvin wrote:... I have plans to do an open ocean paddle in the future which should take about a week so I need a boat that could handle these conditions...
Earvin,

Allow me to interject a bit here. No matter what boat you use on the week-long sea expedition, practice more than one method of self-rescue before you go out. In the final analysis, there is only one guy you can count on when the chips are down. And, that had better be yourself.

An EPIRB/PLB wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Thanks mate. Very sound advice. This trip is a way off yet, there is no rush and I won't be going until my skills are up to scratch. I will be doing a lot of training and preparation before this comes around and will be paddling with at least one mate.

It may be 12-24 months before this happens. It could take me that long to get the kayak built anyway :wink: .