Wishing for a Rob Roy style canoe

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Hoz

You are making a fine looking boat but what can a person say .... Matt designed it. :wink:

I trust you will enjoy it as much as I enjoy the Swamp Girl, If you don't then I will send you my mailing address and you can ship it to me cause I sure like the looks of her. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Exterior ready for fiberglass

-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Top coat of epoxy over fiberglass.

Graphite/silica mixture for abbrasion resistence below the waterline.

-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

I'm familiar with graphite in epoxy (about 20% graphite by volume) for abrasion resistance. Please explain the silica? How much? What type? etc. etc.?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hoz

graphite mix

Post by hoz »

I used 20% graphite and 3% silica for the bedcoat. The final is 30% and 5% silica. The silica makes the finish hard, like a bowling ball.

I decided to apply the mix starting with the 2nd (bed) coat instead of after the glass isdone. That way I think I can save on a pound or so of weight.
hoz

stem

Post by hoz »

I did add stems. Matt has a pic. I hand carved cedar, epoxied them in and fiberglasses. They will add strength in the critical area , supply a place to drill painter holes and attach the gudgeons.
hoz

btw

Post by hoz »

I wanted a 5' cockpit and room enough inside to be able sleep in the bilge. My idea is to have the sail (balanced lug) double as a leanto over the cockpit then have a mosquito net attach to the boom and drape down over me inside.

I have also decided to leave the bulkheads out (but may change my mind later on the rear bulkhead. I am going to reinforce the hull and deck with kevlar in the mast area and cockpit. I figure the extra strength and stiffness of kevlar will make bulkheads redundant. Also I want to be able to stow the sail, mast and boom below should a big blow come up unexpectedly on Gitchie Goomie.

Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Hoz,

Some of your thoughts echo waht my Son is thinking of for his Zephyrus he's building.

And - I echo your concerns about sudden blows on Gitche Goomi. A body of water worth keeping your weather eye on. Have you ever gone into Lake Superior Provincial Park? Lake Mijinemungshing?
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hoz

LSPP

Post by hoz »

I have only driven through on the way to northern rivers. I have cast a loving eye on the bays and definitely want to do the reach from Hattie Cove to Michipicoten someday. In fact, this boat will probably be the one to get me there.

BTW, if your son is interested I have several pictures of Verlen Krugers Sea Wind seat arrangement. If your son has never seen one it has a 4 position bracket that the seat snaps in. The seat also has a portage yoke on the rear. Just pull out, flip it around and over and put it in the top slots.

I intend to clone this for my sail canoe, but using a bench seat instead of tractor. With a sail I need to be able to slide to the weather side to help balance the canoe.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Re: LSPP

Post by Kayak Jack »

hoz wrote:(SNIP) BTW, if your son is interested I have several pictures of Verlen Krugers Sea Wind seat arrangement. If your son has never seen one it has a 4 position bracket that the seat snaps in. The seat also has a portage yoke on the rear. Just pull out, flip it around and over and put it in the top slots. (SNIP)
Thanks, Hoz. I paddle with a guy (Jon Young) who has a pair of them. I plan to show this to Eric so he can do the same thing. Verlen had some good ideas there.
Kayak Jack