Barry's Laker

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Har_Laker
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Website

Post by Har_Laker »

tx river rat,
I fixed the link. I had a , after the .com that it didn't like. Has you family been in Texas long? I have a lot of family down there.
Jeff
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Lived here most of my life
Ron
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day barry,

I missed part of your series of questions - sorry mate.

re the second boat panels. Trim your existing cut panels and use them as templates.

Re resin, I would recommend you use epoxy. and quality marine epoxy at that. Others here have used and still use poly resins to good effect but there is no comparison between the two. Epoxy will bond to your ply better, is stronger, easier to use and way prettier in the long run. Not only that, I have also found that sanding dust from epoxy resin itches far less (if at all) than poly. A very good thing. :D

Well worth any extra cost in my humble opinion.

It is the difference between a boat that, if very well made, will last a few years and a boat that is moderately well made, lasting a lifetime and then some. 8)
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Har_Laker

Poly Resin

Post by Har_Laker »

Barry,
Everyithing I have read agrees with Mick as far as epoxy vs. poly resin.
I chose poly for my kids because thier kayaks were basically after thought builds and I thought I could save some money.
Epoxy has a ton more bonding points per chain than poly does. It is the better resin.

I'm looking at my build as a controled experiment in boat longevity with regards to epoxy vs. poly. They all will be stored in a shed when not in use. I have found that leaving a wood boat exposed to the weather is a death sentence for that boat.

Results should be in in about five yrs or so.:)

I used to work for an automotive coatings company that had excellarated weathering testing facilities. I wished I had made some panels up and tested them while I was there.

Also, on the other end of the spectrum there are builders that just use liquid nails, water repellant, and oil based paint.

Tex,
I had a relative at the Alamo.

Jeff
Last edited by Har_Laker on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :lol:
Ron
coogzilla

Post by coogzilla »

I got some here. Shipped pretty quick.

http://www.fiberglasssite.com/servlet/StoreFront

Coogs
P.S. the girl isn't included
JEMWATERCRAFT:
Touring Pirogue-
bqbowden

Update - When Plans Go Astray

Post by bqbowden »

Well, I have gotten a bit delayed. between work, getting my new house in shape and the weather, I have gotten no further than getting my first sheet cut. I did, however, get my epoxy today and found a great two piece paddle for $25. Oh, I gor a small hand sander in preparaton to going over to the dark side. :twisted:

So, as soon as I can get my brother to go to Home Depot to get the other two luan sheets, I am off and going again. :lol:

Barry
Barry
Durham, North Carolina
bqbowden

Almost Finished

Post by bqbowden »

After several months of part time building, I am almost done. I have a bit of cleanup work and painting to do, then I mate the deck and hull together.

I will post pictures of how she looks.
Barry
Durham, North Carolina