Moon's Laker 13...here we go.

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

You can go straight into splicing soon as the epoxy is applied to the edges. No need to wait.
-Matt. Designer.
moon306
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by moon306 »

Ok, I finally got some time to finish drawing the pieces on the plywood. This part definitely requires patience. I just finished cutting out the first pieces from the first piece of ply and I am a little confused about the coaming.

Reading I see that the narrow pieces go on first and stack up, then the wider piece goes on last. If I lay the narrow piece over the wide piece, how should it look, I am concerned that I screwed this up. The narrow piece seems to have little different curve to it, although it does fit completely within the wider piece so maybe this shape is by design.

Also, looking that the instruction picture there coaming strips in the back (behind your back if sitting in the boat). These do not appear to be part of the diagrams or am I just missing how that works?

Thanks again!
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Moon,

While Matt does up beautiful drawings for the coamings I am just too lazy to go to all the trouble of marking them out.

Here is what I do.

Once your front deck is marked, cut ant trimmed (accurately) to your mark out line lay that panel over a piece of offcut and scribe a pencile line round the inside coaming edge for the length of that part of the panel. Continue it for a couple of inches or so, maintining the same or similar line.

Now measure out 1/2" from that line you just scribed and mark the panel every few inches. Then just join the dots as you did in your original panel mark out.

Repeat the process for the back half of the coaming.

Cut these pieces out and carefully trim them to the pencil lines and they then become the templates to mark out the rest of your coaming build up pieces. You will need a minimum of four each of these for each side of your boat. I would recommend 5 if you are using 4mm ply.

The coaming lip is the same process only it is a little wider than the build up pieces. I like it to be about 1 1/2" wide.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

the thinner 3 are stacked up and the widest one is stacked on top of it. This create a pocket to trap water and keep it out of the cockpit. It also lets you mount a spray skirt.

the 3/4" height of the thinner piece was choose to prevent pinching fingers.

The top coaming piece should be the same shape as the lower layers, just 1/2" wider.
-Matt. Designer.
moon306

Post by moon306 »

Yep, I thought I screwed those up. It makes more sense now looking at some pictures on the site and reading the comments you and Mick gave. Well, at least I ruined the smallest piece ! :roll:

Everything else so far looks good, I went with the jigsaw/metal cutting blade option and it cut very smooth. I am moving on and will deal with the coaming later.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Yea that's a minor hicup. Easy to redo that one. 8)
-Matt. Designer.