TRR LAKER 15' 5'' A

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Ron,

I am enjoying this build immensly mate, and learning from it 8) You do good work and your speed of build amazes me.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Mick
Tell you something, this wood seems slow to me.
Now give me a couple sheets of aluminuim a plasma cutter mig and a tig
and we can put some boats together fast. Lay out on metal was my job for a lot of years and I was pretty fast at it. The wood drives me crazy sometimes having to baby it , with metal just get a bigger hammer.
Ron
PS Aluminiun yak would be tough but noisey and hot.
Hummmmmm Now polished alum with wood inlays, hey Tick you have any scrap cypress :lol:
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Ron,

I haven't done a lot wth aluminium. Heavy steel fabrication and pressure welding was my thing and is my trade but I bloody hate both steel and my trade. Head too long stuck in a bucket I guess. :lol: . - Long Story mate, but that is basically why I got into this wood thing. :D I just love turning beautiful timber into sawdust. :P
Regards,
Mick

tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

I got both decks on today and cockpit layed out and cut

This is not a good pic but I like the look of this boat from the side

And one from the top

Started cutting the combing , I have high hopes for this boat.
Ron
Har_Laker

Post by Har_Laker »

Ron,
Looking real good!

Lakers remind me of a Corvette, they look fast sitting still.

Yours looks really fast!

Jeff
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Har
This is the first boat that I have built that I think will look better in the water, She should be a burner as Mick says.
In about another week I hope to find out.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

got a little more done on the boat ,pic of combing

need a little more sanding and one more coat then she wil be ready for the black on the bottom

Ron
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Wow you build fast! My first cedar strip kayak took me 3 years. However, I had two kids (actually my wife had them i just had to change a lot of diapers) during that time so most of the time the unfinished boat hung in the garage. This one is looking pretty and fast.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Got some more done on the boat today, glass finished black on the bottom, dang I like the looks of this thing

Pic of the backend

and my favorite

little finishing up inside and ropes front and back she will be ready to hit the water.

Oh my two helpers

Magoo my black labImage

and Catfish Charlie the superviser

Thats all folks (for today)
Ron
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

dang I like the looks of this thing
Me too mate.

Top little superviser too mate. Love the grin. :D
Regards,
Mick