Sasquatch 14x30 ...Done... An Ugley canoe.

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Sasquatch 14x30 ...Done... An Ugley canoe.

Post by Oldsparkey »

After a lot of careful thought and re looking at the 14 x30 on Matt's web site and checking out the kit Matt offers I decided to get one and give it a try.
For the gruesome facts on how it was built.....with some side chatter.. :lol:
http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5355

The kit arrived and it was up, up and away, faster then a speeding bullet .... "O"op's wrong person, more like a turtle with a broken leg just creeping along for me. Heck it is summer here no reason to move in a hurry and work up a sweat. The canoe will get done .... Sometime , then I can enjoy it.

As they say all good things come to a close and after the enjoyment of making this canoe it is not closure but a bright , shinny , new beginning for a lot of serious paddling and camping with it.

Here are the boring facts and costs.........................

The pre cut kit from JEM Watercraft......Today's cost....... $515.00
Fiberglass from Raka........ 4oz..... 6 feet ..........................$11.50
3.25 tight woven 16 feet............$25.00
Epoxy , 6 qt kit........................$93.00
Pine Flour.................................$4.00
Glass Bubbles...........................$4.75
Praigis............ Ash and Cain canoe seat............................$30.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not needed but I wanted them on this build.
CLC.................Pre Kote from Interlux.................................$25.50
Brightsides (Teflon) Paint.............................$33.50
Total.............$742.25

This is not taking into the cost of .. Sandpaper, Rubber Gloves, masking tape, Acetone, Some spare wood for the trim on the gunnel's and thwarts, Paper Towels, Paint Rollers, Sand Paper, Budweiser Beer, Ice Tea, Ice for the tea, disposable paint brushes, Sandpaper, Budweiser Beer, Sandpaper, more rubber (disposable gloves, Trash bags, sand paper, Budweiser , paper towels.

Not bad for a 14 X 30 canoe that only weighs 30 pounds and if I was to go out and purchase one, if they matched the weight the cost would be about 3X's or more over what I have spent.

Plus it would not be wood and built the way I wanted it but then I would have had to be happy with what they told me I wanted. NO THANKS.

I prefer to have it my way......... ESPECIALLY ... for a third of the cost. I don't count my labor, it is a labor of love and that is free for every boat I build.

Now you are sitting there scratching somebody part, mumbling to yourself .... I can get one for a lot less .. Yes, You can. A generic, run of the mill, plastic one but it will cost more, a bit more due to taxes.
It will not be a one of a kind, custom built by you for you and only you, no matter how hard someone tries to copy it. I could not build a twin to it, that is impossible to do, might look like it but it sure would not be the same.

Now if you got the wood (I could have and saved a lot since I use cheep wood) but I wanted to build one of Matt's Kits since I have always gone from the plans and not from a kit on all the other boats I have made from JEM Watercraft.

This one was built by an Old Fart that builds custom boats for his use and wants them the way he thinks they should be, pure and simple but a lot better looking boats then the builder.

It is not homemade , ( That is an insult to the folks on here that build boats for there enjoyment).
It is a custom crafted boat built by a home craftsman/owner for the way the builder wanted it since we don't have a rapid, make the same one all the time, boat building business, I dare you to find one we make from any manufacturer.

OK....

I have had my say ....... Let you know about the cost and options .... Here are some pictures of the final chunks of wood I slapped together for my enjoyment . paddling , camping pleasure and just some down right fun on the water.

If you want one....... Get Busy and build it.

Chuck.

This might explain why we do what we do........ Thanks to Kayak Jack , Andy and a small part from me.
http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5032

Now for the pictures since they say a picture is worth 1,000 words and I do not want to overload this computer with them.

The Left side from the bow.........

The left side from the stern

She sits mighty high ..................

The stern..........

The Bow...........

The Right side........

The overall picture of it ...FLOATING......:lol:

I have not paddle it , the weather here is 80% rain and wind , so the canoe will sit for a few weeks and cure then a sanding , some varnish and on the water. By then it should be getting to some paddling weather.
Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
bronco302

Post by bronco302 »

This is just beautiful.

Joe W.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

outstanding... simply outstanding.
-Matt. Designer.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

That is absolutely beautiful. It must have been torture to see it on the water and not paddle it. I wouldn't have been able to do that, I would have had to get in and paddle. I guess I'm weak-willed.

Craig
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

:shock: :shock: 8)

Chuck, your boat is stunning mate!

There is no way I would have been able to put her in the water without paddling her.

The master has done it again. 8) :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

craiggamesh wrote:That is absolutely beautiful. It must have been torture to see it on the water and not paddle it. I wouldn't have been able to do that, I would have had to get in and paddle. I guess I'm weak-willed.

Craig
I did the only thing I could ..... Left the paddle at home or I would still be down there trying her out. The weather folks were right . bad winds , rain and all the rest.

Heck walking her down to the lake I was in old clothes , shorts and "T" Shirt with only house keys in my pocket , in case the sky wanted to dump all it's water on me. Got home before that happen. :D Just before that happen , you do know sugar melts in water so I have to protect myself.... MATT ... Shut Up .. Bite your cheek ....Don't You Dare Say it. :lol:

Craiggamesh , coming from you and your ability , along with others on here , for building beautiful boats ... I thank you for the complement and one day I will be as good as the rest of you guy's , OK almost as good. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
zeb

Post by zeb »

Fantastic work Chuck
That is one beautiful swan 8) 8) 8)
All The Best
Zeb
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

What a superb looking craft...
Great work, Chuck.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
coogzilla

Post by coogzilla »

Sure is purty one. Very inspiring to all that build their own.
Thank's Chuck for the thread. And above all, IT FLOATS!!!!

Well done and congrats for a job well done!

Keith 8) 8) 8)
JEMWATERCRAFT:
Touring Pirogue-
Chalk
Design Reviewer

Post by Chalk »

Very Nice Chuck
Eat.Sleep.Fish[Be the Fish]