Boat Shelf - Prototype

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Boat Shelf - Prototype

Post by jem »

We wanted to develop a simple set of plans for first time builders. Many first time builders don't want to fool around with a starter boat before building the one they really want.

So we came up with a set of Boat Bookshelves that can be built for around $100 that will give builders the needed experience to build a more complex design.

Besides...you need a place to store all your boat building supplies! :D

Plans will be available 1st week in October.

-------

I'll add moretext to these later.

Preliminary panels cut

Bottom brace for shelf (design is cut from 2 pieces of 1/4" ply). These 2 x 2s are overkill but they had them on sale.

Tracing the location lines.

Pilot drilling screw holes.

Applying epoxy to the contact area.

Applying glue to contact area.

Picture of first time stitching together. Took it apart and reassembled about 3 times before I was happy with the results. I relaxed the bend a little. Didn't care for how much I had to fight the panels.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I posted this on my web site and forum so Matt could not ..... DELETE IT ... Yes, I do enjoy picking on him. :D I Really Do.....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matt

Just an idea from this boat nut..........

That would make a good break down boat for someone with a pick up truck, just slide the two halves in the back and then put them together at the river for a days paddling.

Since it is about 2/3 the length of a boat then the back half (or third) could be shorter and actually sit inside the main part for transport.

Unless I was looking at it wrong there is even some rocker in it.

Chuck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now let me explain the reason why........ :wink:

1. Smaller vehicles today and some folks do not want to car top a boat. Drop the back seat and slide the whole boat inside the vehicle.
2. Smaller length to the beds in some of the trucks and they will not take a 16 foot slide in boat.
3. The desire of those folks to paddle or fish and even camp with a boat.
4. Multi use .... A book shelf at home, slide the shelves out and have a boat to use. Just like they use to say in that one chewing gum commercials... Double your Pleasure ... Double your Fun.

Now attaching the two halves or 2/3's and 1/3 is a problem but I saw the answer while washing my Jeep Wrangler ..... Latches like they have for the hood of the Jeep. Snap the two parts together and go since they both would be water tight when made for the dual purpose.

And Away We Gooooooooooo :D

Chuck.
PS .... Matt you may need to modify the plans for the book shelf to a dual purpose boat , but what the heck you need to stay busy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler