Why I hate slotted gunwales

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Jimmy W
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Jimmy W »

I also used Craig's method of gluing the spacers to the strip and epoxy coating the whole thing before gluing them into the boat.

Jimmy
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

My spacers were much shorter than either Craig's or Jimmy's. I would have had a concern (maybe needless?) that gluing both ends of long spacers to a piece that was laid out straight and flat while the glue set up, would create difficulties in trying to readily bend the long piece to a proper fit afterwards.

Maybe not needed, but I would have either (1) opted for shorted spacers, or (2) glued only one end of the spacers first, then the other end at installation time.

Either way, when an inwhale is glued on place with spacers, you have a very strong structural member that will withstand a lot of stress with only a little strain. I use only cords as thwarts, not solid sticks at all.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Jimmy W

Post by Jimmy W »

My spacers were pretty short, just sections of dowel. They didn't hinder the bending of the strip much.

Jimmy
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Jimmy - is that your Southwind?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Jimmy W

Post by Jimmy W »

Jack, that is the Touring Pirogue T. The Southwind still has a way to go. I finished the end pours last night. I still have to get the holes drilled through them and get the deck on it and the outside fill coats and graphite and ....

Jimmy
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

My spacers were much shorter than either Craig's or Jimmy's. I would have had a concern (maybe needless?) that gluing both ends of long spacers to a piece that was laid out straight and flat while the glue set up, would create difficulties in trying to readily bend the long piece to a proper fit afterwards.
My spacers were only 3/16 inch thick and the strip was 5/16 in. The bend wasn't that sharp over the length of the boat so I had no problem with bending them. After gluing them on, I glued on a layer of 1/8 inch thick walnut for a dark contrasting color and dent resistance (every thing else was softwood).
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.