A Laker for the Goat!

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Goats

A Laker for the Goat!

Post by Goats »

Hello folks,
I have started my free laker and thought I would try to share own little way. I decided to build it before I build the t-v. I have already built one sg boat but I didn't do it like I want to do the rest. I used butt blocks and didn't use wood flour in the joints. just resin and glass. I thought that building the laker the way ya'll do it will be good experience for future boats. And Texas River Rat, I guess I will be one of your posse. I am using luan and poly. Cheap and easy to find. I can hone my skills on it before I go to the high dollar stuff. Anyway, back to the boat. I cut the panels Sunday and Monday. Started gluing the panels today. I will post some pics as soon as I have something to look at. Everyone get ready for questions!!
I was a fish in another life!
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Goats, you may want to back channel both Texas River Rat and Hairy Mick. They have the experience with these boats, and both tell uproarious tales.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Goats

Post by Goats »

Ok. I finally got to take some pics. I have the bottom hull stitched and started gluing. I hope my pictures will work. If you see anything that looks wrong please let me know. Here is a pic down the hull.

One of the splice.
Image[/img]

And a quarter shot.

This stuff is WAY too addictive!!! :lol: :lol:
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Goats,

You do nice work mate. 8) and you are going to LOVE you Laker - no question. They are great boats.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
bronco302

Post by bronco302 »

Lookin good

Joe W.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

You're correct - building and creating is addictive.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Goats

Post by Goats »

Ok folks,
Got to do a little more work and had a setback. Got it fixed though. When I went back to take out the stitches the panels fell apart! I didn't saturate the seams. :oops: After sanding out the old glue I saturated restitched and then decided to glue the inside. Took the stitches out tonight and it stuck!! :D Glued the rest of the seams and waiting for the glue to cure. That is almost as fun as waiting for water to boil! I can see my wife fussing about the herd of boats in my barn already. :wink: Here are some more pics.

Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Goats wrote:Ok. If you see anything that looks wrong please let me know. Here is a pic down the hull.
You said to let you know if we see anything wrong. Not sure about the rest of the crew but I noticed one discrepancy in your pictures that needs to be corrected.

The working area around the boat is way to clean , neat , organised and maintained. :lol: Looking Good.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Goats

Post by Goats »

I wish you would explain that to my wife!!! :D According to her, That area is bringing down the property value. :? I think she doesn't understand that a boy needs a place to play. 8)
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Goats wrote:I wish you would explain that to my wife!!! :D According to her, That area is bringing down the property value. :? I think she doesn't understand that a boy needs a place to play. 8)
I will argue/fight with Bull Gators , Wildcats , Lions , Bears with tooth aches , ticked off rattle snakes and rabid , door to door , sales men but there is no way I would ever disagree with a wife or female , that my friend is a no win fight right from the start.
With my wife , I say , Yes Honey or just nod and then instantly forget what she said which is usually ... "You have to many boats " then I make anouther one. :lol:

Chuck.
PS. We have been married 43 years so she knows I am not listing to what she says.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler