A light boat for 2 flyfishers

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
Jee

A light boat for 2 flyfishers

Post by Jee »

What would be the best design, options for a boat that could accomodate two flyfishers?

For me it shall be :

-transportable by one or two people in case of forest walking .

-not too high because of the winds and a drogue is using space when not in use.

-Not make slapping noise when waves are hitting

-Does not develop ripples when someone not so experienced in casting.

-a poling platform is useful to detect fish as the water i do fish, have a lot of tanins, causing mirror like surface, and are quite dark and i do sometimes rarely fish in marshes.

-have on bow a casting platform large enough for a heavy man to stand on

Stable like a jonboat ,track like a kayak, quiet like a fabric pontonboat, get on plane like an inverted v hull or like a Talon flat boat, supple to winds like a surfboard

(_/====\_)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

You're describing a power boat.

The biggest issue you'll have is constructing a power boat that will get on plane yet it is small and light enough for 2 men to carry through some woods.

Maybe this set of plans for our friend and associate, Morton Oleson:

http://boatplans.dk/boat_plans.asp?id=56

But that's still heavy.
-Matt. Designer.
Workin Man
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Workin Man »

I don't think you can get all that in a boat that two guys can carry. A bow casting deck and a poling platform together would add too much weight to make it something you would want to drag through the bush, never mind the weight of the motor. You may want to consider building two boats, one that has almost all the features you mentioned (except the weight) for lakes you can get to with a trailer, and a smaller, cartop type boat that you can drag to less accessable spots. Everybody knows you need to have more than one boat anyway. Right guys?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

:D
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

... and when he gets all done with those boats, motor, gear, etc. - he could build a simple canoe and go fly fishing in back waters easily, quietly, and inexpensively. KISS Keep It Simple Sweetheart
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.

Post by Guest »

You are absolutely right about having two boats.
And I hope do good at boat building....and lottery.

And the link you gave me is interesting as yesterday i went to the East cape Gladesmen page .

Another boat could be a canoe...

Im walking circle... :roll: :lol:
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

You just might end up building a buncha boats. You wouldn't be the first that got hooked.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.

Post by Guest »

Paddling circle, sorry

Post by Guest »

Do you have a recommendation for a canoe traditional stern and able to carry two heavy men?

Post by Guest »

found the 15' Daytrip
It looks like the seats are low in the canoe isnt it?