Southwind 15-30

Builder show and discuss their progress.
FlaMike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by FlaMike »

I don't how much you know about sail rigs, but there is an excellent resource on this Forum on just that subject.

In the "Questions and Comments" section of the Forum, locate the thread titled, "Kayak Sail." In it, you find some post by hoz, who really knows the subject. There's also links in that thread to other info.

There is a drawing posted that would make a good starting point for the South Wind, pretty easy to come up with a working plan from there. It the sail plan of the Vinta.

Give this link a try.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
Jimmy W
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Jimmy W »

Yeah Mike, I have seen that thread. You made it real easy to find again though. :)

Jimmy
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Jimmy,

I see (what looks to me like) an aft bulkhead. Are you going to install hatches?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Jimmy W

Post by Jimmy W »

Hey Jack, There is no bulkhead. I just painted the inside white. It will make it easier to spy things hiding back in there. :)

Jimmy
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

I put white epoxy on the inside of my kayaks too. I also bury a cord in the end pour with a small pulley in it - each end of the boat.

Then, I have a long "clothes line" loop of rope in each pulley. The loops meet in the middle of the boat and one goes through the other so they STAY in the middle. I have a 4' cord tied to each loop (at the knot) , and lash on the first item to go to that pointy end. Helps to both pull and push (wide end of a take-apart paddle) an item into the ends. Pushing alone will mushroom dry bag and resistance will stop it short of the end.

Pulling also helps "upset" the load packed into that end, and they come tumbling out easier.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Jimmy W

Post by Jimmy W »

I still need to get the coaming put on and more sanding and varnishing, but decided to try it out today as it is. This is a great paddling boat and performed as well as I hoped that it would. I am near the lower end of the recommended weight on board and my seat is about 8 inches above the V in the bottom of the hull, so it did feel "tippy" when I first got into it, but after about 1 minute, I was completely comfortable with it. I crossed power boat wakes head-on, sideways and quartering into and away from them without trouble. The little breeze that was blowing part of the time didn't affect it much at all. I used both a single blade paddle and a double bladed one and enjoyed using it both ways. The double blade is better for covering a lot of water quickly, but I like to sneak around silently with the single blade at times. This boat will go fast when you pick up your cadence. Tracking and glide are very good. You can't spin it around like the Touring Pirogue-T or my old Bluehole whitewater canoe, but that is a small price to pay for the improved tracking and speed. I guess it is because the improved tracking lets me use a lower angle stroke, but I get much less water dripping into the boat with the double blade paddle with this boat compared to the pirogue. I've been using the same seat in both boats.

Jimmy

tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Jimmy
Great looking boat you did a great job
I see you used the rope guards like I did, did you build a lath like I had :lol:
Ron
Jimmy W

Post by Jimmy W »

Thanks TRR. No, I cut them out with a hole saw and sanded them down on a belt sander.

Jimmy
craig vail

Post by craig vail »

Jimmy
Good looking boat
Great workmanship
Now get out there and give us a report on how it handles.
Craig
Jimmy W

Post by Jimmy W »

Craig, There is a report up there above the pictures. It handles very well and I am very happy with it. :D

Jimmy