Hairie's Okwata 15 X 26 LC

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Hairie's Okwata 15 X 26 LC

Post by jem »

There is a small swoop in the deck, by design.
-Matt. Designer.
craig vail
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craig vail »

Mick-Very nice!

Matt- Another winner!
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

OK,

Thanks Matt,

The swoop is growing on me. :lol:
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

hairymick wrote:OK,

Thanks Matt,

The swoop is growing on me. :lol:
Mick.....

I think it might be the best for you to see a Doctor and have that swoop removed since it is growing on you. Us Ole Farts are not suppose to have anything ... RACY... like swoops or racing stripes on us or our boats. Especially since we move and paddle in the Geezer mode.

Ya know it is the ole fashion thought of being a normal married guy ( For a lot of years ) and doing things that long keep our wives happy and not worried about what we are up to. Especially trying to regain our youth and being racy , sexy , plus being appealing and attractive to the younger opposite sex without letting them know that.

Ya have to keep a careful eye on Matt , he does like to throw curve balls at us now and then.
Especially like when I got the 14 x 30 kit from him for the Sasquatch Canoe and he scribbled on the one panel ... "Eat Mo Grits " figuring I would miss it and then encapsulating it in the epoxy and fiberglass while building the canoe ..... before I noticed it.

My mistake when I told him I was basically blind in one eye ( 20 - 2000 , actually less but that is as far as there scale goes ) but I still caught it with the good eye ..... Sorry Matt , better luck the next time. :lol:

Ya have to watch Matt , before you know it he comes up with a new design that is even better then the one in the past , UNBELLIEVABL but true. :D

Chuck.
PS.. Eat Mo Grits , Ya All.......... :lol:
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

That swoop will pay for itself many times over in rough water. You will watch as a wave begins to progress up the deck, only to fall away as it his the change in curvature. Slick.

So far, I don't remember any young ladies swooning over the swoop in my deck. They were wayyyy too enamored with me to notice a swooping boat deck. :roll:
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Chuck,

Been to the doctor mate, An American bloke, (ex US Navy) and a real good hand. He is working here on some sort of permit system but told me he will have to leave after 12 months. It will be our loss. We desperately need good doctors - especially ones who can speak English (of sorts :P )

That curve ball of Matts is a real sneaky one. I didn't notice the swoop in the concept drawings or even when I marked and cut the panels. :shock: . I spent the best part of half a day trying to find MY mistake. :lol:

Jack, I think the curve looks kind of nice - now and I am getting used to it. As for doing what you claim it will. I have owned a couple of very good sea kayaks with a similar swoop and have paddled them in seriously rough water. I think the swoop achieves little, if anything in the way of encouraging water off the decks. If a wave is big enough to run up the deck as far as the cockpit, no amount of swoop is going to stop it. I think the swoop is more something the factory boats put there for looks.

Will be away for a few days, a lil R&R, camping on Fraser Island. Wllcheck in on about your Tuesday. 8)
Regards,
Mick

Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Mick,

I hope the R&R is fully therapeutic and you come back refreshed.

That swoop may be a bit forward to achieve the wave shedding that I experienced. About mid-deck was where the boat I have is swooped, and it worked well. Some large waves did succeed in nailing me in the cockpit, but very few.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Merlin
Type of boat I like: Kayaks have Okwata plans

Post by Merlin »

Harry,

Wow, it's looking great. I've had to hold off on my start until at least the new year :(
Hopefully, I'll be able to get it started then. Can't wait to see your's finished!

Billy
Billy
V-12
Laker 13 (free, soon)
Okwata 15-26 (soon)
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Thanks Jack & Billy,

The trip was wonderful. The place in virtually on our doorstep and people come from all over the world to see it. Neither Robin nor I have been able to find the time to go there till just now. Largest sand island in the world with stunning beaches, perched lakes and tropical, old growth rainforest in its centre.

Here is a link to my Facebook album with a few piccies.

http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?ref=mb#/ ... 103&ref=mf

Ribs are still pretty sore and this has slowed me down a bit. Turned out, five are broken on the left side.

got a little done today.

Deck is now filleted on the outside with a coat of resin to protect it when I take it off the hull. My Gaboon ply is very soft and sctatches easily. Still not sure how I will lift the complete deck off yet. Will need to think on this some more.

This is the swoop in the foredeck,

Regards,
Mick

dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

hairymick wrote:Here is a link to my Facebook album with a few piccies.

http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?ref=mb#/ ... 103&ref=mf

Ribs are still pretty sore and this has slowed me down a bit. Turned out, five are broken on the left side.
Mick,
The link seems to take me to a login page.

And whats up with 5 broken ribs on the left side :shock:

Boat looks great so far.

DM