BTB

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

BTB

Post by tx river rat »

BtB Beyond the breakers
There seems to be an increasing number of guys in Texas that paddle out past the surf and fish. On another forum I ask this question .
http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... 86#1121886
Matt you should read this because there are a lot of guys there wanting to build wooden boats but wanting them for BTB.
The drift I got from them was they wanted a short wide boat ,33 to 31 inches around 12 ft long well you read the thread. I sent a bunch of them this web site.
Did you ever get any specs on the native plans?
Ron
Might be a good market right now for a boat that would fill the need.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: BTB

Post by jem »

native plans? You mean their SOT?
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

I thought you sent a set of plans to James that were close to the native ultimate.
Ron
Yes the SOT
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

oh ok. I sent a set of plans that was similar in concept to the Native Ultimate. But that's a sit-inside boat. Not SOT.
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Ok sorry Matt
Ron
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I'll keep an eye on that thread. I have a 12' x 28" SOT that I'm finishing up.

The problem with doing a SOT that has high front rocker or rounded hull shape is that less of the hull is in the water. Meaning you get less displacement.

To get more capacity in that situation, you need to allow for more draft. But then that leads to an elevated seating position which leads to less stability.

The alternative is a lower seat position and lower scupper heights but that leads to constant water in the hull if you have more weight on board.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Ron,

Those guys seem to be talking about the Malibu X factor and the Cobra Fish and Dive.

Both are fine fishing platforms but are considered dogs here as far as paddling craft, particularly so, in the surf zone. Very few who regularly fish BTB here keep them for very long. I have never seen either in the surf zone.

The South Africans with their lovely "skis" are leading the world IMHO for boats of this nature. In Particular, have a look at the Stealth BFS or the Kaskazi Dorado or the Erics Canoes (any model) All of them have absolutely the smallest cockpit possible. More just a recess for the bum and feet -hence avoiding the necessity for scuppers. Their thinking in this is that if the entire "cockpit" is filled with the paddler, it can hold practically no water.

I think that ANY of Matt's current SOT designs are superior in the surf to the X facor or the FnD.

For the guys who really want something short and wide, perhaps a sot based on the bottom panels of Sasquatch 12 x 30?.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I don't know where Cobra gets it's claim of 600 pound capacity. That would be one wet ride.

I wonder what the capacity is with water up to the scuppers.
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Matt I sent note to a friend that fishes and paddles one, he is around 300 lbs, 6 ft 5 are there about. He fishes BTB all the time and I have paddled with him on the Brazos.
Mick I agree they are tubs as far as paddling long distances, but most of these guys fish
long hours and a lot of it is side saddle,and they catch a lot of fish 40 to 150 lbs.
In Texas you have pretty good beach access Mike told me to get thru the surf they normally just paddle 3 to 4 hundred yards out then fish so long distance paddling isnt really a factor.

I stole some of these fishing pics to show you how they use them, also they seem to be a catamaran style hull.
Ron
Matt I can contact these guys if you have any questions
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

I'd be a bit prudent riding "side saddle" (with feet overboard??!!) with sharks swimming about. Helluva way to trim ones toenails, ehh?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.