Cape Fear Sit On Top

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Yak-A-Tak
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Cape Fear Sit On Top

Post by Yak-A-Tak »

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!! :D :lol: :P

Here we go again, :D

Hello all, I have purchased plans for a Cape Fear SOT and am going to build it for fishing. I have already built an 18.5' Cedar Strip (sit in) kayak but fishing from it is a pain. I am looking for a stable fishing platform, something that is a little easier to get in and out of, I am 6'2" and around 265lbs or so hense my choice of the Cape Fear SOT. I will try to photo document my progress and add some tipps from the build as well as a little humor.
No trees were killed in the creation of this message,
However many electrons were terribly inconvenienced. :-)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Cape Fear Sit On Top

Post by jem »

Looking forward to it!
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Yak-A-TaK,

and welcome aboard mate.

I believe in the Cape Fear and have had the plans for one in my grubby little paws for a couple of years now. i just haven't got round to building her yet.

As a fishing machine, particularly so for the bigger guys, i think she will have few, if any peers. Enjoy your build mate and please do share with us your adventures and thoughts along the way.!

Merry Christmas!
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

I take it you like the word "Cape" in the model of kayak you build. Unless I am wrong, and believe me this wouldn't be the first time, the 18.5 foot stripper you built is a Cape Ann Expedition. You did a beautiful job building her. I built a strip built SIK, also. It took forever. Also, I see you too are a fan of the Greenland paddle. Did you carve it yourself?

I have fished from my SIK, too. However, I feel that the SOT would be much more comfortable and stable for landing a bigger fish like a sturgeon. I am going to order the Sabalo plans today, if I get the required permission from my off-duty supervisor. Bemm52's beauty sold me on it. I have been trying to pick between Matt's 3 designs for the last 6 months and I think I finally made up my mind.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
Yak-A-Tak

Post by Yak-A-Tak »

I am impressed, it is a Cape Ann but it is the HV, I like it allot, it gets up and moves when I put the paddle to it, however fishing from it is quite a chore. It is around 55 pounds. Getting in and out of it is not so much fun either. I will have to work at that!

Funny you caught that, the work Cape never entered my mind, I am a big guy and I am after the stability and capacity of the kayak.

It may take some time to start as I am having to save up for materials, $$$ is hard to come by this day and age. I will post pics though when I start it off.
Yak-A-Tak

Post by Yak-A-Tak »

Oh and yes I did make the paddle, need any pine shaveings??
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

No. I have plenty of shavings of my own. Here is one I carved last winter. If you can call using a band saw, tables saw and spokeshave carving.

I ordered plans for the sabalo the other day. Not sure when I will get to start on it. We added a little girl to the family at the beginning of January, so between changing diapers and work, i wont have much spare time. However, I enjoy reading other peoples build threads.
Regards,

Craig
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Also, I guessed the Cape Ann expedition because it is one of the few 18.5 footers I know of that are strip built.
Regards,

Craig
Yak-A-Tak

Post by Yak-A-Tak »

OK Here we go,

Building the frame parts from scrap 1/4" Sander plywood from Home Depot, so far no voids. That Sander board plywood is very light weight. I am going to build the entire kayak with this stuff, making sure to check for voids in the ply.

I cut the pieces about a quarter inch larger on the table saw and used my disk sander to trim it to the line. This is as accurate as I can get.

Not much of a start but it is a start! Saving up for the epoxy.

_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Any progress mate?

Al