You know i always try to find a topic that causes some controversy. Has anyone had any experiences with polyurethane adhesives not as a replacement for epoxy just as a waterproof adhesive?.
oh and happy new year to all.
I have a small (8') home built jonboat that I used PL premium adhesive on. It is not a true stitch and glue boat though, it is built using chine logs. I applied a good bead of the adhesive to the logs before installing them. The transom was also installed with the same glue. I had to replace the transom this past summer (after 7 years including being stored outdoors in the winter), there was no sign of the adhesive failing. The entire boat is epoxy coated inside and out however, with 6oz glass on the outside of the hull, so there was no possibility of moisture getting to the glue. I'm not sure how it would have fared if it had been exposed to moisture, particularly over the winter. I did use epoxy to install the new transom though.
I'm sure most of you are wondering why the transom needed replacing on a 7yr old boat. The original was made of white pine biscuit jointed together, then epoxy sealed. The stress applied to it by the motor was causing it to crack along the grain of the wood. The new transom is marine ply instead.