TARHEEL CAPE FEAR SOT

Builder show and discuss their progress.
TARHEEL
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

TARHEEL CAPE FEAR SOT

Post by TARHEEL »

STARTED BUILDING THIS ROCKET ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO. GOT THE PLANS AND STARTED LOFTING AND CUTTING. I FOUND IT EXTREMELY HARD TO STOP ONCE I GOT STARTED SO SOME OF THE BUILD PROCESS MAY BE LEFT OUT.

TARHEEL
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

CF SOT

Post by TARHEEL »

THE PICS ARE LITTLE ROUGH. I'LL WORK ON THAT. I AM DEFINETELY IN A LEARNING PATTERN HERE, BUT EACH TIME I GO INTO "MOAN" MODE, THE PLANS INSTRUCTIONS BRING ME BACK TO REALITY. THANKS MATT. I WAS AMAZED AT THE TRUE STRENGTH OF THE PANELS W/ THE AMOUNT OF TORQUE THEY COULD TAKE. ONE QUESTION: IS IT TOO LATE TO SWITCH TO THE SIT-IN VERSION AT THIS PHASE? JUST CURIOUS.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

No not at all.

On the Cape Fear SOT, you build it as a sit in first.
-Matt. Designer.
TARHEEL

Post by TARHEEL »

not much happening since the last post EXCEPT sanding, sanding and did I mention? SANDING!! I actually enjoy sanding so it wasn't like work. I order some 6oz cloth from a CO. in Ohio. It is 38"x 20 yds @ $80.00, is that a good price? I got cloth before from this guy, and it really worked well, but I don't have alot to compare to.

Now that I've got it all slicked out, and a saturation coat on, it's time to glass the hull.
ImageFollowing the instructions, I rolled out the glass on half of the hullImage
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

About $4 per yard. Pretty good price.
-Matt. Designer.
TARHEEL

Re: TARHEEL CAPE FEAR SOT

Post by TARHEEL »

Last edited by TARHEEL on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TARHEEL

Post by TARHEEL »

not good with the pic posting, but it is my progress since my last post. Basically, it's where I moved to which is why ther's nothing new on my Cape Fear. I did mange to get to glassing the interior of the hull, and have decided to build this as a sit-in. Will post some progress pics shortly.
TARHEEL

Post by TARHEEL »

Now that I've shown where I want to use my yak, it's time to get on w/ the build. I managed to get as far as constructing a flat deck on the front and decided it should have an asethic look so i'm attempting my own version of a stripped top.Image
I began with cutting leftover ply into 2" strips and applied them over a solid ply top already in place. Image After they cured, the strips were cut and sanded down to conform to the hull shape.Image The next step will be to apply epoxy/ filler resin between the strips and finally glass the top.
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Nice looking water you're going to be paddling on Tarheel..........
And that stipped deck will look a treat. Nice work, mate.... :D :D
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
TARHEEL

Post by TARHEEL »

Thanks John, I'm still new to this, but it is Definitely addicting. Here's a shot of the first saturation coat on the top deck. There are 1x2's on the sides both for structure and looks. The plan is to add epoxy/ wood filler from the edge of the top to the edge of those side pieces and shape a nice slope to it. That's the plan anyway. :roll: Image