8-Harness Satin Weave

Post your own building tips and "how to" ideas here.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

You're probably right, Chuck. If I weren't so lazy, I'd walk down to the basement and re-read the instruction manual. sigh I know that there is a big difference in convenience for the builder with loose weave, and I found inconvenience with tight weave. Could be the klutz-factor.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
lncc63
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by lncc63 »

We have only one weave. It looks like plain weave as best as I can tell. The thing I did notice which is probably true of loose weave is that threads get easily pulled causing irregular spacing. This particularly happens when the cloth is folded.

Has anyone had problems with these pulled threads?
Louis
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I have. You have to be careful not to snag anything wile you're positioning the cloth.

Sand everything smooth.
-Matt. Designer.
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

Hope you don't mind Matt, just so others aren't confused. I think you mean sand everything smooth BEFORE you position the glass so there is nothing to snag on.
Louis
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

lncc63 wrote:Hope you don't mind Matt, just so others aren't confused. I think you mean sand everything smooth BEFORE you position the glass so there is nothing to snag on.
yes, exactly.

Also be careful not to lay the glass on or around sharp tools like saws or chisels.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Sometimes, even rough skin on your fingers will snag the darned stuff too. It can be a real pain.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

re: wetting out the glass

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

I haven't read all the way through this, so maybe someone has already posted this one. When wetting out a large area I make a frame up and stretch aluminum screen over the frame. Hold the screen down on your work piece and roll out the epoxy into the glass, through the screening. With a little practice and patience while you get the hang of it , it keeps the glass in place while wetting. When I finish an area I just lift the frame and move on to the next dry area. Once enough area has been wetted, you can move back over any dry spots without pulling the glass out of place.

Lee the "hairy-tick"

Forgot to mention, I only use bright aluminum screen for this, not the painted charcoal colored stuff or the fiberglass kind.
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I start in the middle and work to then outside with a roller , never had a problem with the glass moving.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

Oldsparkey wrote:I start in the middle and work to then outside with a roller , never had a problem with the glass moving.

Chuck.
Yes but you don't live in the same sphere of mere mortals who look for the hard way to do EVERYTHING! :wink:
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

LEE SCHNEIDERMANN wrote:
Oldsparkey wrote:I start in the middle and work to then outside with a roller , never had a problem with the glass moving.

Chuck.
Yes but you don't live in the same sphere of mere mortals who look for the hard way to do EVERYTHING! :wink:
Wrong , if there is a hard way of doing it ..... Trust me I will try it. I like to contribute it to good luck or dumb luck .. your choice. Anyway I use all of it up building boats because I can't hit one number on the Lotto much less all six. :roll:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler