SABALO BUILD

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: SABALO BUILD

Post by Kayak Jack »

Damned fine looking boat. Looks better than the store bought boats, by a long ways. How did you notice your performance compared to Hobies? Did any of them have the mirage drive? If so, how, in particular, did that perform alongside your paddle?

You rudder will likely be a LOT more useful for trim to maintain a crab course over winds and current than in turning.

I'm not a fisherman, but it looks to me as though you have your gear positioned in handy configuration. I like the depth finder SPAM fish locator mounted there. Guard against rolling over in shallow surf; it could get wiped off the boat? Maybe, shock mounted so it bends a bit?

RE: varnish on bottom. Before you recoat with more graphite enriched epoxy, sand off the varnish. Otherwise, you may experience delamination at that surface. I'd appreciate it if you don't ask me how I know, t'ank ya ver much.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
scottrunnr
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by scottrunnr »

Wow it's stunning! You did a magnificent job building her! Amazing craftmanship and some really nice functional features. Well done!

Do you have any photos from fishing?
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

scottrunnr wrote:
Do you have any photos from fishing?
No left the camera with the missus on terra firrma

will post more pics next trip its hard to get away this time of year with work and xmas comming up

heres pic of a similar fish (Flathead) caught in my old yak.......just a tiddler these grow in excess of one meter......after they get to about 500mm they all are female
Strange hey

Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

Kayak Jack wrote:............... How did you notice your performance compared to Hobies? Did any of them have the mirage drive? If so, how, in particular, did that perform alongside your paddle?

Guard against rolling over in shallow surf; it could get wiped off the boat? Maybe, shock mounted so it bends a bit?
They all were peddle yaks (Hobies that is) as far as comparisons don't know but will give it a try ...........on the Sunday morning I fished with a guy with Mirage drive he opted to paddle as we trolled to our drift spot :shock: I had no problem keeping up inspite of a bit of yawing due to bad rudder control............it kinda feels like patting yer head and rubbing your stomack to me. :oops:

Your sounder mount with some give has got me thinking.......... Just how to do it not sure yet (read no bloody idea) but something will come up............any thoughts..........I wanted to flush mount it into the console somehow but my cheap and cheerful sounder didn't have this option had a Garmin once that did though
CraigLewis
Type of boat I like: Sabalo 2004

Post by CraigLewis »

Bemm 52 wrote:
Kayak Jack wrote:...............
Guard against rolling over in shallow surf; it could get wiped off the boat? Maybe, shock mounted so it bends a bit?
Your sounder mount with some give has got me thinking.......... Just how to do it not sure yet (read no bloody idea) but something will come up............any thoughts..........I wanted to flush mount it into the console somehow but my cheap and cheerful sounder didn't have this option had a Garmin once that did though
Good Day Bemm and Jack,
There is a product with give...3M 5200 adhesive caulk tubes...some people in California are experimenting with recently to direct mount of the transducer directly to the water. Check-out this thread explaining how Jim Day did it to his new plactic SOT. He has done this same approach to his custom wood kayak using 5200 only.
http://www.kayaksportfishing.com/phpBB2 ... highlight=
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... d=keymatch

I'm the Cal Sabalo guy on Matt's site pic's. Your lines are so straight compared to mine, but you seemed to not overdue the stitches, how did you achieve that? Did you layout the lines or buy a kit from Matt?

I have the Hobie-drive, rudder install approach on mine...this is a crucial combination because the large rocker makes the kayak turn in wind so quick. Took me a few trips to get the technique good. It is great for trolling. Maintaining momemtum is the key.

I want to congratulate you on a sensational Sabalo project!!!!!!!!
Mine is 4 years old now and in need of a major sanding and re-varnish, considering graphite bottom too. SoCal has a lot of easy launches with plenty of sand so I can go w/o graphite easily. I have the same internal rubdder control and Cascade Designs rudder as you. Your rear design approach looks far better than mine because of mine not having enough throw coming thru the rear end panel (too face to face to the rudder cable connection). So please post more pics and explaination.

I'll keep you guys posted on the performance Jim Day is having and whether orr not any leaks are gettting passed the 5200. Some comparison of transducer performance thru ply and direct may be coming soon. My transducer is gooped to the ply, but I can easily test the diff by connecting my spare one thru the scupper hole letting it dangle.

Take care,
Craig
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

CraigLewis wrote:
I'm the Cal Sabalo guy on Matt's site pic's. Your lines are so straight compared to mine, but you seemed to not overdue the stitches, how did you achieve that? Did you layout the lines or buy a kit from Matt?

I have the Hobie-drive, rudder install approach on mine...this is a crucial combination because the large rocker makes the kayak turn in wind so quick. Took me a few trips to get the technique good. It is great for trolling. Maintaining momemtum is the key.

I want to congratulate you on a sensational Sabalo project!!!!!!!!
Mine is 4 years old now and in need of a major sanding and re-varnish, considering graphite bottom too. SoCal has a lot of easy launches with plenty of sand so I can go w/o graphite easily. I have the same internal rubdder control and Cascade Designs rudder as you. Your rear design approach looks far better than mine because of mine not having enough throw coming thru the rear end panel (too face to face to the rudder cable connection). So please post more pics and explaination.

I'll keep you guys posted on the performance Jim Day is having and whether orr not any leaks are gettting passed the 5200. Some comparison of transducer performance thru ply and direct may be coming soon. My transducer is gooped to the ply, but I can easily test the diff by connecting my spare one thru the scupper hole letting it dangle.

Take care,
Craig
Craig not to sure what you mean about my rudder setup I have posted a pic in this thread......... I don't think there is much more to see :shock:

Does this help?

I'm a bit slow so you may have to tell me real simple what you mean :oops:

I cut the panels myself.........trick is no flatspots and fair curves before you stitch :D

Boat was stitched with copper wire as fine as I could go and still hold.........drillbit was so fine I had to wrap it in masking tape to get it to chuck in my cordless :shock:

My rudder technique is improving and I love it on long trips you can kinda just zone out and eat the miles 8)

Jack Ive come up with the perfect solution to my sounder liability in case of a surf mishap :wink:

I just unplug it and stow it below deck if things look hairy 8)

The only surf damage was bending the rudder in shore break it was great to stop broaching on waves in deeper water :cry:

now I raise rudder before attempting surf haven't flipped yet but have come close a few times :oops:

The trouble and strifes build is coming a long slowly will post in Somethings growing thread when theres something to see :roll:

Cheers Paul
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

That is simply an amazing looking boat. Wonderful job on the build.
Darrell
Darrell Sykora