hiawatha type canoe wish

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: hiawatha type canoe wish

Post by jem »

Well it's like I told Shawn, I don't have the assembly instructions done yet (the rest has gone off to the print shop). But it will assemble exactly the same as the Sasquatch except one less panel per side.

So if you GOTTA have it, order the Sasquatch and leave a note during the check out process to send the Trapper drawing files instead. I'll include a copy of the Sasquatch assembly instructions.

Trapper will be the same price as the Sasquatch when I finish everything up.

Some notes:

Length: 15'3 [4.5m]

Max Beam: 35" [89 cm]

Estimated weight: 40-65 [18-30 k] pounds depending on materials used. About 50 pounds [23k] for 4mm Okoume ply and 6-ounce fiberglass cloth.

Recommended load on board: 175-600 [79-272]

Bill of Materials:

Epoxy: 2.25 gallons [8.5 L]
Cloth: 6-ounce, 60" wide, 11 yards [200 g/m, 152 cm, 10 M]
Woodflour: 2 quarts [2 L]
-Matt. Designer.

Post by Guest »

that was me matt (shawn). i can't log in from work, so it just shows me as "guest", sorry about that. i'll place my order tonight when i get home.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Matt,

This boat is a beauty!!

I think she will appeal to those who are seeking what is percieved as a more "traditional" looking Indian style canoe.

The fact that she has beautiful hull form and very fine entry in the stems for effortless paddling as well is a bonus.

I would very respectfully suggest you get this one posted on your site ASAP and post links on others as well.

The English just love this style of canoe and I think she will prove very popular over there.

What a great general purpose, or all round canoe! Bloody well done mate!
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Thanks mate.

I stayed home from work today... got a headcold and didn't need to be spreading my germs. I worked on it for about 4 hours straight. Got all the documentation done except the assembly instructions. That's probably another couple. Then the website work is another one or so.

Now I say all this just to give an idea of what it takes to get this stuff done. :D

However, I do agree it needs to get posted up so I'm trying to squeeze it all in. 8)
-Matt. Designer.
shawnkfl
Type of boat I like: Canoes and Kayaks

Post by shawnkfl »

if ever there were a canoe to be named after a woman. this is it. the lines on the hiawatha style are simply stunning and even more fluid on the water. i am really glad that i waited and more so that i found this site. i am grateful to matt, fo doing this "wish" of mine. matt, i'm off to order the plans right now. i will document everything, from the moment i get the plans. thank you again.

if you need another idea for a new hull....look at the gheenoe lines. those are very popular in the south too. i see them everywhere with pedestal seats and five horse motors on them. just a thought.
shawnkfl

Post by shawnkfl »

oh yeah....matt, this trapper is the only hiawatha stitch and glue hull out there. there are some close, but not like this one. i agree....get the plans out there. everywhere. and it will be a hot seller i'm sure. those in canada will love the lines as well and all over the north east (where i hail from). this will be one that will be asked for in a few different lengths too, i'll bet.
shawnkfl

Post by shawnkfl »

ok...my order is in! build space is cleaned, tools and wood are ready! let the build begin!
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I already have a request for 15' x 38".
-Matt. Designer.
shawnkfl

Post by shawnkfl »

i saw a strip built 13' one once. beautiful little solo canoe and very light. i've seen some about 18' long with a transom (single ender) running around on protected waterways too. it's just one of those design styles that screams canoe to me. if i were to build any other canoe, i would be settling. THIS is the only canoe for me.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

ok i lied. The assembly instructions weren't that hard to produce. Just had to update a couple images from the Wabanaki instructions and that was it.

So shipping will get delayed a day but you'll have a complete build package.

Might be able to get these plans posted up this weekend after all. :D
-Matt. Designer.